What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia flava & s. purpurea seeds

Indiana Gardener

Got Drosera?
Hi,

I was just out inspecting the bog to see how nicely it's filling up with leaves for mulch and noticed that S. flava and S. purpurea had some fertile looking heads nodding on some dried stems. I gathered them and to my surprise there are like tons of seeds in these things, though be they small. About like radish seed I guess. They seem round and fertile, not sunken in on the sides or anything. I'd love to have a go at them. I've put them in small glass bottles to keep them seperate, though I'm wondering about natural crosses in polination? Would be kind of cool to get some surprises. Both were in bloom at the same time.
  I've read about how seedlings can damp off at a certain age and their low success rates. I'd like to know if any of you have any tips? To stratify or not to stratify? When to start them, etc? Thanks for any info.
Bye for now,

P.S. My avatar is gone and I don't know why.
In the area where I originally picked it, it says:
"Indiana Gardener, this is where you can choose to use an avatar under yourname when you post a message on these boards.
You can either select an avatar already installed on this board, or enter a URL for an image you've got uploaded on your website. Please choose which you'd prefer."
But I don't see the "enter a URL for an image you've got uploaded on your website" option button. Where is it?

hello, welcome to the forums!!! i will not answer your plant question... although i will tell you why you cannot use a personal avatar... well actually i am going to give you this link to the answer
smile.gif
have a great day and again welcome!!!
andrew

Thanks for the reply Andrew. It's been a while since I'd been here and was surprised when I noticed my cool little gif file was gone. Used to be so cool setting up there eating flys.
Attn. moderators/administrators: I made it myself btw, so it wasn't copyrighted or a large file. I wish a few hadn't ruined it for the rest of us.
sad.gif

Bye for now,

Ok, wrap the seeds in a damp paper towel and put it in the fridge for 4 to 6 weeks (I usually do 5). Then sow them on sphagnum moss if possible, although peat will do. I dip the moss in fungicide, and then the seeds. When first growth emerges, douse them with some more fungicide too.

Thanks Alvin. Like what type of fungicide? Dusting sulfur? And at what temp should they be after the stratification to germinate, and thereafter, and at what age can they handle normal outdoor temps...(keep in mind it gets down to -20*F here in the winter)?
Thanks again.
  Bye for now,

Hi Indy,
You may want to protect the flava and purpurea seedlings for the first couple of years or 3 to have a higher number of plants. I would sow the seed in Jan or Feb and germination should happen in early Spring. Germination should take place when temps reach around 60 f in my experience. To prevent desication if you are using peat, a fine sprinkling of moss peat so the seed is just hidden from view is a good practice.

Back