What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exciting news from the ICPS

Copied from their website:

"In 2003 the ICPS will be implementing a short term program to distribute rare plants that are covered by the US Endangered Species Act. The ICPS has obtained a permit from the US Fish and Wildlife Service to proceed with its Sarracenia Distribution Program. It is our intent to distribute hundreds of plants within the USA at very low cost to the hobbyist (just a few dollars per plant). It is the hope of the ICPS that this plan will reduce poaching of these rare plants."

EXCELLENT! Yes I hope there plan works.

I actually think that is kind of sad - I like the challenge of getting hold of rare varieties, only if they aren't rare, then everybody has everything and there is nothing new and exciting. I think the ICPS should find different ways of keeping people from poaching. Can't growers be happy with what God gives them and not start poaching just because they can get away with it?
Peter

When you say "hobbyist", are you talking about just the ICPS members, or is this offer going to be availalble to anybody(other knowledgeable Sarracenia grower)?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (larry @ Mar. 11 2003,09:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">When you say "hobbyist", are you talking about just the ICPS members, or is this offer going to be availalble to anybody(other knowledgeable Sarracenia grower)?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

larry,
I just read my March 2003 CP Newsletter and in answer to your question I will quote from the newsletter.

"The second (trade) permit was to give the ICPS the chance to experiment in a short-duration, live plant distribution program in which rare plants would be provided to ICPS members."

It later states that this trial program is only open to US members.  I beleive that is likely due to the need of CITES permits to ship outside of the US.

rubrarubra, the purpose of this trial is to see if by providing some of the rare types of plants, they can take the "poaching pressure" off the wild populations by introducing the plants into hobbyist's collections on a large scale.  The hobbyists will then propegate these plants and spread them around.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Can't growers be happy with what God gives them... [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I haven't read the Bible in a while, but from what I remember, a lot of the trouble that people got into <and still do> was caused by them not being happy with what they had.  Seems to be one of mankinds worst problems....always wanting more when what we have is more than enough.
confused.gif
wink.gif

Back