What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just order some S. leucophylla hybrids

I recently orders an S. leucophylla and two S. Leucophylla hybrids. I can't remember which ones. Anyway, I live in North central Oklahoma and need a little advice on how to grow them. My original idea was to put all three in a large ceramic flower pot and place them on the back porch (facing NE). I'm new to the pitcher plant thing and am also concerned about excess water loss in the hot OK summer. Would it be better if I planted them in a container and buried it below ground to avoid the pot overheating? Also, exactly what soil mixture should I use and can I obtain what I need at say, Lowes? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Buckmaster

Sarrs appreciate full sun, so place them in as bright a spot as possible (doesn't that sentence sound odd read out loud?).

If you use a ceramic pot, glaze it. In the summer, you'll want to constantly keep min. 1" of pure water in the tray at all times.

I'm not sure about the climate in Oklahoma...anyone else here from OK?

You can easily obtain Sphagnum peat moss and horticultural sand at Lowes. Make sure the moss is specifically labeled 'sphagnum'. For sand, buy something with grains not tiny like beach sand, but with larger grains.

Any more questions welcome.
Chris

you'll be fine... I have a thrity six inch planter crammed full of sars and flytraps, I keep 2 inches of water in it at all times. And I live in south texas! I would just potem up on the porch and enjoy!

The temperature here is generally in the upper 90's and even 100's in July, August and the first of September. I think with the plants on the NE side of the house they will be shaded from the HOT afternoon sun. Do they need this protection? Will an undrained container be OK or would the tray method be better? I'm concerned about the amount of water I will go thru with the tray method. Is soil temperature going to be a problem with an above ground container? I do have one thing going for me though, it is normally pretty humid, about 40% relative humidity on the really hot days, and 50% or more the rest of the days. Sorry to be such a pain, but I really don't want to kill my plants. At which I am quite good.
Thanks,
Buckmaster

You're not being a pain at all!
smile.gif

I wouldn't want the sarrs fried (baked is much healthier, jk), so maybe you should keep them lightly shaded while still providing high light. Your spot for them sounds fine.

If you used the tray method, you'd need to refill the tray often. You'd also need a large, tall tray.

If you want to put in some work, you could consider an artificial bog submerged in the ground. It would keep the roots cooler and give the setup a more natural appearance.

Just how cold (in winter) does it get where you live? If it is too warm, you'd have to use an above-ground container so you could move them to a cooler spot for dormancy.

It gets plenty cold. The coldest snaps we have are generally not below 20 degrees and only last a few days. However, it does occasionally reach the teens and below. The rest of the time it stays somewhere from the upper thirties to mid fourties. Our coldest weather usually falls in the months of Dec. to Feb. Will they be OK outside year round?
Thanks,
Buckmaster

Absolutely. I grow sarrs outside with winter minimums below -5F, with loads of mulch.

I'm not so sure, but your sarrs may even need some light protection in winter if you decide to grow them in a bog.

I was thinking that the flower pot would be the easiest, especially since I only have a few plants. If I go with the pot, is undrained OK? Should I put it in the garage during the winter?
Thanks a Million,
Buckmaster

An undrained pot should be OK, but... (gets wishy-washy)

Sarrs appreciate very moist soil, but the possibility of root-rot from excess water remains. It would be best if the flower pot is at least 10 inches deep. This would allow a deep spot for extra water to escape to and give the sarrs plenty of root room.

How wide of a pot do you plan to use? Wider pots are often deeper pots.

Also, a few inches below the soil surface, drill several very small holes in the sides for drainage in the event of a heavy rain.

And plastic would be the best pot material to use.

In winter, you may keep the pot in a cool spot that also gets a little indirect light from a nearby window. If your garage gets below, say, the mid forties F in winter, the plant shouldn't need any light at all as it is a deeper 'sleep'.

And if you have a refrigerator with a huge amount of extra space, you could even put it in there.

Before placing your plant in any sort of dormany, thoroughly spray the plant surface, soil surface, and pot with a fungicide.

If you're getting your plants soon however, you don't even have to think about dormancy for another 7+ months!
smile.gif

Chris

(Edited by Dionaea Enthusiast at 8
wow.gif
2 pm on Mar. 13, 2002)

(Edited by Dionaea Enthusiast at 8
wow.gif
3 pm on Mar. 13, 2002)

Thanks Chris. I appreiciate all the help. I guess now all have ot do is wait for my sarrs to get here. I try to get to Lowes this weekend or next week, seeing how it's spring break and I have to stay in this god-forsaken town and work instead of going to Cancun or some other tropical location. Sorry, just had to vent a little. Anyway, I appreciate all the help. I'll keep you posted on my progress.
Thanks,
Buckmaster

Buckmaster,

Chris covered pretty much everything but I just wanted to add a little.

About the undrained pot/minibog idea, my fiance's brother set up a minibog in a 16 gallon tub and it is working well. It is deep enough that it being undrained isn't a problem and still light (I use the term relativly) enough to move into the storage shed when it gets really cold out.

Just some food for thought

Pyro

What hybrids did you buy Buckmaster? I just ordered my first pitcher plants - a leucophylla, S. x farnhamii (l x r) and an unknown hybrid of leucophylla x moorei, possibly an 'Evendine'.

I ordered S. flava x S. leucophylla and S. alta x S. leucophylla. Since I'm new to the whole pitcher plant thing, I have no idea what to expect. I was hoping they would get here this week, seeing as I'm on spring break and would would have plenty of time to pot them. If they don't I guess I'll have to miss a few classes next week.

Just adding my &#360.02 worth. I live in Iowa and have similar summers. July and August in the 90s and 100s. Last year I had my Sarracenia on the West side of my house so they got all the hot afternoon sun and they seemed to love it. Non of them burned at all. This year I'm setting up an in-ground mini bog and will have them in full sun all day.

D. Buck.

Hey DarthBuck,

How humid is it where you live? If they were kept in full sun in less humid conditions, there would probably be nectar burn around the pitcher rims. I hope the inground bog comes along nicely. Thanks.
Chris

Back