What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ugly bog pic

OK I want to put a similar bog in a big pot in my back yard but the humidity hear on this utah mountain is murder.  Will these cute little plants survive sunshine and 20% humidity??

picture 003.jpg

picture 004.jpg

thanks
joe

Well, I'm kind of guessing here but they probably would do ok. It's a fairly inexpensive experiment (depending on which plants you choose). I might start out with a short variety like purps. I'm thinking they might sit closer to the bog medium in a little higher localized humidity.

If that works then maybe try a taller variety.

And then again there's the go for broke method. Just try it.

wink.gif

That's about the humidity we have here, they wont do very well. Last year I tried a bunch of CP's outside and they survived it, but just barely. If you are going to do it (your sun is as harsh as mine, I know) give them pretty good shade for like the last 6 hours of the day, it was the intense afternoon and evening sun that cooked them. Also keep them extremly wet. I think you will have best success (if you are determined to do this) with Sarracenias and maybe fly traps. Leucophylla did the best here for me, they can survive HARSH winters I found out. We had a 45 day freeze at least this winter, it was uncovered, and it is coming back strong. The Judith Hindle I grew, it did pretty good all year, but needs alot of protection in the winter. Our winters are alot like yours, just not so much snow, it's just really cold. I think Flava's would do good for you too. Sundews and Butterworts are pretty much out of the question...you might try some terrestrial Bladderworts though, I have not tried them here yet, but I hear some are pretty hardy. The tough thing for us is the humidity, which really impacts the pitchering of the Sarracenias. Best of luck, let me know if you need more help by emailing me, I'll do all I can.

thanks I think I'm going to try with some of my duplicate plants. I'm trying to come up with a misting system but the requirement for RO water makes it difficult to automate.

joe

I water with RO water and mist with tap water for the same reason, that misting with RO water is impractical for me. The volume of water with misting is so small that so far there is no trouble.

Thanks tim, I may have to do that. I have about two weeks to figure it out before summer hits up here.

joe

I have a few nep pics in the nep forum under the heading, picture, just for the fun of it. I'll post more one day when I get this bog put together. I'm thinking of stealing the timer off my backyard drip system to make a mist system for the bog.

joe

Back