What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long does it takes?!

• Thread starter Andenes
  • Start date
I've had these babies since february or something ( a friend gave them to me) and they're still as small as ever!
sad.gif
They haven't grown one bit! What is wrong with them? I know that shock might take time but PLEASE!!!!! Does it takes 6 months?!?! lol I'll provy with pics tomarow.
C'ya

Here they are:
Before:
baby%20sarracenias.jpg

After:
DCP_1329.jpg

As you can see they have grown a little bit but nothing on height. What's wrong?
sad.gif

Look great to me, next growing season they will grow in height. I noticed they are rosetted, well a few at leat. This may be a baby purpurea? Just wait and nature will take its course, of course...lol...
                        Kevin

They are planted in peat, repot them in pure sphagnum moss and they'll grow much faster.

they will take about 5 years to reach full height!
Sarracenia arent like other plants..with some plants, you can plant a seed and in 4 months have a plant that is 6 feet high!
with Sarrs the entire first year (after sprouting from seed) each pitcher will be less than one inch..
the whole second year they might be 1.5 - 2 inches..
the third year you might reach 3 or 4 inches.
by the 4th and 5th years they should get larger, maybe up to 6 inches..
by 5 or 6 years they should be "mature" and give full-size pitchers.
(they need a dormancy each winter too..)

VFTs grow the same way..VERY tiny plants the first 2-4 years..
Scot

wow.gif
1--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Alvin Meister @ July 06 2003,2
wow.gif
1)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">They are planted in peat, repot them in pure sphagnum moss and they'll grow much faster.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Is that right?  I've never heard that before.  If it's true then it's a great bit of advice! Has anyone else observed this?

Hi Andenes -

I have also noticed that they grow much faster in pure long fiber sphagnum. I had some baby pitchers that seemed to stay that same small size like yours for a long time ( 7 + months). Then one day, something in them kicked on and they all started to grow 3 to 4 inch pitchers.

I use a very very dilute fertilizer, Walmart brand "acidifier plant food" 30-10-10 for azalea, rhododendron, etc. I mix it in a 1/2 gallon container and then pour it into a small spritzer and mist the pitchers with it every other week or so. If you do this, don't get it on any other CP's (especially sundews).

Also I kept my baby pitcher indoors under lights for their first winter.

Hope this helps.

WildBill

Hi Andenes,

My baby sarrs are just like yours. Slow growing and very small.
Their about 7-9 months young and have wondered myself, "When will they start to really GROW?"

I guess we both need to learn patiences with these babies.
tounge.gif

Hang in there! Before you and I know it, 5 years will come and go...like a flytrap closing.
wink.gif

Yep, I remember there was a website with a photograph of some one year old leucophyllas. One half were in peat, the other in pure moss and the moss plants were about twice the size. I have some six month old seedlings growing in moss and on average the pitchers are 1" - 1 1/2" tall.

Thanx guys! I'll try to be patient with them from now on lol
Take care!
biggrin.gif

I have done a lot of experimenting with growing these things. (sarracenias) I have several 1000 seedlings so I can afford to loose a few. I have tried all sorts of mixtures and I have found the ones with the greatest proportion of LFS (long fiber spaghnum) do the best. A deep pot and air circulation to the roots is somehow important as the first roots tend to streach for the water table. At first I thought that they were slow to recover from disturbance, not true especially on the young ones. Some of my seedlings are 4" tall and are only 6 months old. I have some that are a year old and 10" tall showing fine coloration. Now, I also have pushed them hard. During the winter they were under grow lights 24/7 and fed every 10 days. Indeed you can fertilize. BE CAREFUL! I have burned some of my best seedlings. I learned that you can feed from the Atlanta Botanical Garden. They grow sarracenias as part of their conservation program. Their mixture is as follows: 20-20-20, 1/8 teaspoon per gallon for seedlings applied with a mister once every 10 days while actively growing and not while in direct sun. Only lightly mist the foliage. Do not soak the soil. Shake the bottle! I try to top flush the soil with rain water to wash an residual through the moss after they have dried or over the next few days. You can up the solution to 1/4 for adult plants and follow the same guide lines. All that said, I also have seedlings that have just sat or have actually declined. I would transplant them personally. Good luck and keep us posted.

Back