What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rotting pitchers?

confused.gif
can somebody tell me why my pitchers seem like they're ready to rot? they stay in damp soil that consists of sphagnum peat moss and they eat crickets and spiders regularly. i'd say right now there is maybe one insect per pitcher which is the most that they've ever had at once. can any body give me some tips?

What exactly do you mean "ready to rot". It is the time of year where they start to go dormant. Most species and hybrids will start browning and drying away. Many times, pitchers will rot from the insects inside. Think of it as indigestion. As long as the rhizome appears healthy, I don't think there's much to worry about.

yes i agree w/ sarracenia, once, a perfectly healthy flava of mine died, i happend to open wondering why, and well i do not even want to talk about it, you can read about it in one of my earlier post.....well, it probaly has "indegestion"so as long as the rhizomes are healthy, i dont think i would worry about it.
Kevin

sorry this has nothing to do with the topic at hand--but I had to congratulate sarracenialuver on the excellent use of the quote from Carrot Top
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif

Truly one of the sages of the modern world!.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
lol
and so on.

sad.gif
I don't know what kind of plant it is. I bought it at the hardware store down the street a few months ago and it's been doing great. I thought I was Doing a Good job caring for it. I've seen what it looks like after it catches a farely large cricket and what it looks like when it's digesting. I'm wondering if maybe my plant needs a variety or what? I gut load my crickets, I feed them to my reptiles, so I know that they're not diseased in any way. so I don't know what's going on.
sad.gif

is it "rotting" from the top-down or from bottom-up?

Back