What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weird sarracenia growth

Two of my plants experiencing weird growth patterns -- the new leaves would curl at the growth point.

This S. leucophylla X willisii has curved growth.
S.leucophyllaXwillisii.jpg

This S. rubra ssp. rubra plant shows the most extreme curling pattern:
S.rubra1.jpg

S.rubra2.jpg

S.rubra3.jpg

S.rubra4.jpg

I am guessing that this might be caused from rotating the pots 180 degrees which confused the plant's orientation to the sun, or damage caused by two-spotted spider mites.

Anybody else seen these growth mutations?

Phyllodia!
smile.gif
My plants espically my S. x Catesbaie makes the loopy pitchers. It is just a result of the colder weather and dormant growth.

My S. rubra ssp. rubra plant seemed to have recently put up a new pitcher after making these loopy leaves. I guess this species makes phyllodia leaves during the Summer as well.

Sarracenia should be going dormant now, stopping growth for the most part, unless you're in Australia or somewhere down there.

I think it was the last growth of the season. Temperature is starting to get a bit colder here in California.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (sarracenia @ Nov. 19 2002,08:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Sarracenia should be going dormant now, stopping growth for the most part, unless you're in Australia or somewhere down there.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I am in GA and my plants are still growing so it is conceivable that his plants are also not dormant.

Emesis,

In times of "stress" Sarrs will put out phylodia and then revert back to normal growth. Was there anything that could have stressed the plant? A repot? Strange weather? An earthquake shaking the pot and knocking it over?

I would agree stress has caused the deformed growth. It could be as trivial as differing water levels in the trays or as Pyro put it a change in the weather. Sometimes a virus can cause damage like that especially if all new growth has been affected.

Thanks for the replies. It probably was stress. The plants were shipped, but I don't think the phyllodia were yet formed. Most likely was that for a few weeks the weather was really hot and the water level was not consistant. I was also away for 2 weeks,
and I remembered seeing the weird growth afterwards. During this time, we had a hot spell and the plants were taken care of by someone else.

Back