What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm going to buy a couple of pitcher plants soon but I don't really know what to start off with. I want something more interesting than plain green, preferably with lots of red. I've read the Savage Garden and Adrian Slack's book but it's really tricky figuring out all the hybrids. Here's a list of what is available:

S. alata
S. alata - Red Lid
S. flava
S. flava - Copper Lid Form
S. flava - Maxima.
S. flava - Maxima. var. rugelli
S. flava - Burgundy Form
S. flava - Heavily Veined Form
S. leucophylla
S. minor - Okeefenokee Giant
S. psittacina
S. purpurea. ssp. purpurea
S. rubra
S. rubra ssp. jonesii
S. x catesbaei(flava X purpurea)
S. x excellens(leucophylla X moorei)
S. x formosa(minor X psittacina)
S. leucophylla X popei
S. x melanorhoda(catesbaei X purpurea)
S. x minata(alata X minor)
S. x moorei(flava X leucophylla)
S. moorei X leucophylla
S. x swaniana(minor X purpurea)
S. x farnhamii(leucophylla X rubra)
S. x stevensii

I'm also a bit confused about the S. x excellens - the Savage Garden says it's a cross between leucophylla and rubra I think.
I'm used to growing VFTs indoors but we've got a new greenhouse so they will have permanent bright light. Is there anything specific I should know about growing sarracenia?

Thanks

Alvin,

For colour nothing beats the Leuco, and any hybrids with it will have some of its colour as well. The burgundy Flavas are nice from what I have seen but I think they need TONS of light to stay nice.

S. x excellens is actually Leuco x Minor, these guys get quite nice as well.

As for cultivation info, they are not too much different from your standard VFT or Drosera, lots of light and water and good humidity.

You might want to track down Richard and ask him as I think he has a lather large collection of Sarrs.

Hope this helps

Pyro

Treat them just like VFT's. Just slightly moister soil. Also for very nice coloration go with. S.Alata "Red Throat" S.Flava "Cut Throat" S.Flava "All Red Form" S.Leucophylla S.Purpurea spp. Purpurea ( Very robust if you give it lots of light, I'll post a pictures of mine) S.Jonesii ( Endangered and very red, a prize in any collection) S.x Excellens (very nice!)
7915469-cdac-01600120-.jpg

This plant is quite old and my "companion" through the years I have grown CP's so he is a friend and has sentimental value to me!
smile.gif
Sorry for getting a little mushy there! :cheesy:

Hi Alvin,
If your after plants with a little colour you cant beat S x Excellens. Being a hybris it is extra vigorous and very easy to grow. As Pyro said, This hybrid is S. Leucophylla x Minor not S. Leucophylla x Moorei. I would check this plants actual parantage before buying.

I also highly reccomend:

S. Flava copperlid  (properly known as Var Cuprea)
S. Flava 'Cutthroat' (var Rugelii)
S. Flava 'heavy vein' (var Ornata)

S. Leucophylla is THE most colorful plant out there!

You can see photo's of these plants from my collection at:
http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....pic=294

They need care similar to the venus flytrap. Bright direct sunlight is essential if you want to get the best colours out of your plants. Also air circulation is important. These plants produce so much nectar that the pitchers become covered in sticky globules. If there is no fresh air moving around the plants sooty mould begins to feed on the nectar. It does the plant no harm at all but it looks unsightly, just like you had stuck your plant up a chimney! Also, scale insects are prone to attack under stagnant conditions.
Hope this is of help!
8955178-26aa-016C0200-.jpg

Sarracenia Leucophylla

(Edited by RICHARD UK at 6:41 pm on Mar. 5, 2002)

(Edited by RICHARD UK at 6:50 pm on Mar. 5, 2002)

If you are new to it, I would say to get a purpurea. They are idiot proof, mine have lasted almost a year now(hence the title of idiot proof) Leucophylla is also a very vibrant species and I have had very few problems, Leuco is tougher to get to pitcher though, pupurea just asks that you keep it's soil wet and give it sunlight. Maybe the occasional bug too :wink:.

Thanks everyone.
I think I'll check the excellens and buy one of those if it's a leucophylla x minor, along with a normal leucophylla. Out of interest though, what does a leucophylla x moorei look like?

Ive never seen a leucophylla x moorei but knowing how Sarracenia hybrids work I would expect it to be like a slightly wider pitchered Leucophylla. Possibly with a little less white areas than normal (depending on what the parents used in the hybrid were like of course).

Back