What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to plant my bareroot pft sale sarrs

I received my PFT Sarracenia bulbs from the big sale the other day and I'm wondering how I should plant them. Should I spread their roots out or simply make a hole in my planting mix and set the roots in and pack soil around it?

My thoughts for a soil mix are to use 50-75% LFS and 25-50% sphagnum peat. I can use pure LFS if that might be better?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Hey Josh, most Sarracenia in the southern states are in mostly pure peat and sand but more sand, so I aim for a peat/sand mix. But, Mike Catalani has his bog garden, including VFT,Sarracenia and some drosera in PURE PEAT. Quite interesting but he said it helps in his hot climate with water retention in his bog. Anyhow, I spread the roots out...shock is quite hard to put on these...I haven't ever had a Sarracenia go into shock from root disturbance at least.

Just my 2 cents.
wink.gif

Josh,

As Dustin pointed out, what you pot them in depends on where you live and how you are growing them.
If you are growing them in a greenhouse, you can use peat/perlite. It's not as good outside , if you are using deep trays, as the pots will not be heavy enough and perlite floats.
People who live in more appropriate climates sometimes use more sand then peat even.
I am still waiting for my rhizomes to arrive.

Regards,

Joe

I just potted up all my PFT sale plants a few days ago..
I switched back to pure long-fibre spagnum..
after reading "The Savage Garden" a few years ago, I decieded to try a peat/sand mix...that book, and many people on the internet, suggested that mix..
I tried all my CP's in peat/sand last year..and in my opinion..it sucks! it compacts to a VERY hard, cement-like consistency..far too dense in my opinion..I have also tried pure peat and its better, but still seems too dense to me...so now im going to my old standard..wide open spagnum!
its now my favorite..but thats me.

as for planting, I didnt spread out the roots at all..I filled the pots up to the top with the moss, opened up a hole in the middle, plunked the roots in, still in their little spirals, and pressed in the moss around the roots..I figure that disturbs the roots the least, and they can begin to grow out into the moss on their own..

scot

Back