What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lookin' for advice

I'm new to this and I'm interested in getting a pitcher plant. I'm considering sarracenia purpurea. Can any of the more expereinced growers give me a little advice on how to be successfull with this plant. For instance....what are its optimum growing conditions...how tall does it get...can I keep outside in the summer(I live in SW Wisconsin where it can get pretty hot in the upper 80's to 90's and also will get fairly humid too)....what do I do with it in the winter?

Thanks

Here's a good start for you:

pft pitcher plant care sheet

As for the winter time, there is a big section on dormancy in the general forum (I think it's the general forum...some one correct me if I giving bad directions).

If you get the purpurea subsp. purpurea, you can grow those outside year-round. They are native to WI, mostly in the northern 1/2 of the state, but you can find some in the kettle moraine area and around the lake mi shoreline. I'm originally from Black Earth, btw, if you know where that is. Anyway, if you don't get that subspecies, you will have to provide some protection from frigid cold in the winter. summer temps should be no problem, as long as the soil is kept wet. There are many options for winter: keep in a garage, in an enclosed porch, in the refridgerator. All of mine survived the past two winters being kept mostly in a windowless garage. I left one regular 100W light bulb on during the day, to try to simulate some kind of light cycle. I also treated with a fungicide when I moved them in. Low light and cool temps are perfect for certain fungi to grow in, which can decimate your plants. good luck!

Back