What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crushed in  shipping

Hello Everyone,
When my Sarrs arrived in the mail the other day, 2 of the pitchers were crushed. Do they come back up to life? And is it alright if you touch the plants? Also since i'm in Florida where would they best place be to put the plants in? I have them outside the lani. Is that alright where they are? I'm not sure i want to give them too much sun light. Thankyou.
Bubblegirl

If they are not too badly flattened you can try popping the pitchers out with a pencil or something (Carefully of course&#33
wink.gif

Main thing is to watch closely that no disease sets in where there is damage to the leaves.
Tony

And, unless they came from a place with Florida magnitude sun, you should give them a bit of shade for a couple weeks.  Then move them out to that bright sun
smile.gif
.  I don't know hybrids, but any Sarracenia species other than maybe S. purpurea (especially S. purpurea var. purpurea) should have no trouble with full sun there.

Oh thanks guys,
I wasnt sure to pop the pitchers out or not. I mean by using a pencil. I thought it would kill them. OH if they do get infected do they turn brow or black? Well i made a paper brace for one of them out of paper and just taped it around. Well Thankyou both:). I'll try putting them in a shade for 2-3 weeks then put them right smack dab in the sun:).Thankyou.
Bubblegirl

I wouldn't worry if you see some brown around the damaged areas but if it progresses and gets larger at a steady pace then there might be a problem.

As for light level, I think it is best to increase it gradually. Start off now with either a couple hours of early morning or evening sunlight and bright indirect light the rest of the day. Increase this a little every few days,over the next couple weeks, until the plant is getting sun for a large portion of the day.
Tony

I re-read my post about moving plans from shade to sun and see I wasn't clear. When I said "a bit of shade", I meant a place with some, but not complete protection from sun. I have a spot, for instance, that gets sun through mid morning and another that gets sun beginning late afternoon. They have dappled sun the rest of the day. My Sarrs have had no trouble moving from one of those spots to full sun. That's Connecticut sun, by the way, so take that into account if you're in Florida or some other such place where the sun is only a few feet above your head.
rolleyes.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (herenorthere @ July 17 2003,08:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And, unless they came from a place with Florida magnitude sun, you should give them a bit of shade for a couple weeks.  Then move them out to that bright sun
smile.gif
.  I don't know hybrids, but any Sarracenia species other than maybe S. purpurea (especially S. purpurea var. purpurea) should have no trouble with full sun there.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I haven't had any problems with purps in full sun.

S_purpurea02_web.jpg

Beautiful! Absolutely astounding colors! I'm going to grow mine outside if they are going to look like that!
tounge.gif

Back