What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S.minor Not Doing so hot

Well, it seems my invincible minor is losing it. I have two lants in a pot (im ready to repot this year). one is doing ok with a flower up, but both of them are having thier forming leaves browing once they get a certain height. The leaves im talkn bout are ollder ones not yet opn, so maybe age of the leaves is the problem. I know the pot (5 inch) is too small, so im going to repot near dormancy. Its outdoors getting 5 hours (give or take an hour or so) and using the tray method. my other sarra's, purp and j. hindle, are doing ok also. Any suggestions/?

Hmm, funny you should mention this! My S.Purpurea subsp. Purpurea f. Heterophylla I think is just wilting! I don't wanna lose it either! It just was fine the first day and poof on the ground the next, anyideas? *ANSWER CEPH'S QUESTION FIRST THOUGH* This is his thread but I have the similar problem so I thought it was appropiate to post it here, thanks.

Maybe we should cut off all/most of the wiliting/wilted leaves? itll save the palnt energy.

I would really appreciate if anyone Mike King, RICHARD UK would say some words about this!
wow.gif
wow.gif
I don't wanna loose my Heterophylla!
sad.gif
It is one of my largest purps and I wanna keep it, anyideas? Should we/I move it outta full sun? and into shadier conditions?

Don't cut off anything that is still alive. It will get the plant more light and help with photosynthesis.

I repotted today (with a huge ball of soil around the roots, but i saw that the roots that were sticking out were white and healthy). I took off one totally near dead leaf and lef many more. The flower stalk was alittle bit chewed by an earwig (stupid earwig..i burned him with a match&#33
wink.gif
. I hope it does well in its larger pot. Actaully now i think bout it, the only temperate plant doing well for me is a purp! All my others, even my dente vft is crappy! (lets not jinx thier recovery&#33
wink.gif

Perhaps mine needs to eb in a larger pot, I'll take a gander tommorow.

Hi Cephalotus,
It sounds like the conditions are not ideal for your plants. How are you growing the, do you keep them outside or in a greenhouse? What is the climate like where you live?

Browning of Sarracenia pitcher leaves on young growth can be caused by lack of humidity, too much heat, too dry a compost mix. With Sarracenia mixes, after repotting, make sure the compost is firm, not loose. This will help with the water uptake by the plant.

Please give me some more info about your set up and I would be happy to help!

UH-OH  
wow.gif
 I took a look and the crown feels soft! What is wrong! I also think the soil got too dry and the heat got to it! What CAN I DO NOW!!!! It is my only S. Purpurea subsp. Purpurea!!! I don't wanna loose it!

Hi Nep G.
purps like a high water table, the best you can do is plunge the plant into a deep bowl of rainwater say level to the top of the pot in the shade for a few hours and then bring it into the light again. I grow my largest plants all the time with this technique..

OK Mike! I did that. I also meant it to be S. Purpurea subsp. Purpurea F. Herterophylla. Soory bout that. I like Heterophylla and this palnt is my only one, I think it should be OK. Should i give it any Superthrive? And the dosage if you would use it Mike?

Hi Nep G.
I would treat your heterophylla just the same as your other purpurea ssp. purpurea. I have never tried superthrive, I just let the plants do their thing by catching their own insects.. Try growing the purps by placing the pots into a plastic washing up bowl, they love it with me from the high water table they get
smile.gif

Well, its outdoors (no greenhouse). It gets about 5 hours of light, its watered from top (now it is cuz it was repotted and i dont have a water dish yet.). The average temps now in Sf are around 80ish+ F. Im not sure about humdidty. all the forming leaves are burned at the top, but new ones are coming out. -Zach

**Click here for weather in San Francisco updated hourly**

It shows humidity too!
smile.gif

I thought it's been around the lower 70's during the day and 50's at night in SF. The news keeps saying how cool it is over there on the coast, but more inland where I live it reached 100F on Wednesday and it's been 90's regularly this week. Today (Saturday) it was finally 80's. I've been seeing a lot of people taking walks with umbrella's to protect from sun this week.

Hi Nep G,
Cut the wilted pitchers off and see if the plant will send up new growth, that will probably be the only chance to save your plant and keep it out of direct sun, but good light in a more humid place to see if it recovers...

You guys are certainly getting some sun there, here we are having endless rain!

OK Mike, I'll do that. Thanks bunch! NG

After some though, ima going to do this: im going to move the plants to a new location where they get less harsh light. Im also going to place them in a tub filled with water to increase humidty.

All right, what I did was I took the plant outta it's old pot and put it in with another Purpurea as the water table is MUCH higher and if another Purpurea is doing fine in that pot, thne it should be OK for that one too. I lower lighting ALOT into near half to 3/4's of shade. SO lots of nice cool shade and a little warm sun. Sound good?

Hi Nep G,
That is only really for your wilted plant a chance to recover, your other purp, leave it be where it is. And when your f. heterophylla shows signs of recovery, then place it next to the purp. Long term, this plants love light and plenty of water. With Cephalotus, because he lives in a drier, hotter climate needs to take extra measures as the sun factor is no doubt higher!

Enjoy the sun while you have it guys, summer in England is cancelled until further notice!
mad.gif

Back