What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dumb question, but bear with me...

Here is a website with leuc pictures...

http://www.vaxxine.com/ccphome/gallery/leucophylla.html

which one is the "best"? I know its a dumb question, but I think that most people get it... I wanna buy the seeds of it. By best I mean... rarer... prettier (those ARE pictures, but only about four of each)... Basically, I"m looking for someone who is more familiar to help me choose...

Thank You for bearing with my ninnyness...

Actualy Parasuco they have a new webpage. The owner got off that site and I am surprized your link works to get the pictres up as the main page is down. I think the new page is niagraexotics.com And Phil, Jeff, other Mods. They sell NO plants, ONLY SEEDS. YThey have a link for "Plants for sale" but none are up so I think there page is fine for our viewing. Parasuco then you can get thier new pictures at the gallery page.

I just acquired a leuc typical and it's beautiful. You can check this link for a pic. You might remember it.

This is probably the coolest variant of leucophylla that I've seen.  It's at pitcherplant.com.  They call it 'Hot Pink'
sleu_pink.jpg

It's a matter of what you think looks the best really. They can vary from nothing but white and green all the way to nothing but white and red, with varying thicknesses of veins.
Of the pictures I personally think the Baldwin county ones look the nicest.

Sarracenia,
Wow, that plant is so amazingly unnatural looking. Looks like someone "photoshopped" the red in. Gorgeous!

Well, Mike King and I have an even better one!
On Mike's site you will see a plant called Pink lip. It is beautiful! I'll ask mike if he will let me post the Picture here. The plant produces huge stocky pitchers with a very thick pink lip and a very odd looking small lid. Definatley one for the collectors!!!

Hi Richard,
Yes post it as I can't!! The pitcher on the pink lipped leuco is huge. Its autumn pitchers can swallow a ping pong ball easily.

The hot pink and leuco titan plants will hit these shores next week.

I do go to www.niagaraexotics.com, but for somereason that was the address that was on my bar... the new address is the one on my favorites menu...

Oh, and just wanted to add... I dont think posting that site is too much of a threat to Exotic Gardens because they dont deliver to canada, and Niagara exotics does not deliver to the states so, technically, neither is taking away eachother's customers... But i do understand that it is kinda advertising, even though thats not wut it was meant as...

That's what my point was. So were're all good all in all.
smile.gif

Here it is!
The most amazing plant I have ever seen. The Photo's just don't do it justice!
S%20leucophylla%20L18%20&%20L2.jpg

S%20leucophylla,L18,SMc,Autumn.jpg

The autumn pitchers are Huge! Mike isnt exaggerating when he says you can fit a ping pong ball into the pitcher! Also, What makes this plant so special is the lip. Sometimes it is really large and fat!

Thanks to Mike for sharing these photo's!

We call that plant Tates ####, because thats where a type like it comes from.
Mike King has a really good website and has the best Sarracenia I have ever seen in the UK as regards to color and form, which is harder to achieve in the UK or any more northern latitudes.
While certainly there are some more vigorous types of plants per species I think the thing gets a bit ridiculous.
If you take any Sarracenia fruit and cultivate the seed you will certainly see a plethora of different types of offspring.  Not totally different than a couple having a child with different colored eyes & hair then both parents.
I can sow 250 seed from a red S. flava, the results range from pitcher shape & form to color, from veined to red.
We fail to remember the most important things in coloration and form with regards to plants.  This is simple, where are we growing them and how.
A S. leucophylla with good "pinks or reds" growing in full sun in northern Florida will always look different than one growing in fun sun in Michigan.  Also pitchers will be somewhat different.  Water intake, & humidity plays a role too.  Never expect a plant to look exactly like what you see somewhere else..it won't, it can't.
This goes for tissue cultured plants as well.  The age of the culture, and health will cause different cultures to look a little different. Tissue cultured plants from seed are pot luck as to outcome, but not clones such as a few Sarracenia now produced.
It is true general tendencies hold, such as with the plant posted by Richard in the UK of the S. leucophylla.
Remember, if your conditions are not prime you may not see the samething.
It often occurs someone will request a plant, say a N. ampullaria with a red peristome.  I provide one and it arrives with such, but they cannot offer as much light regardless of how good a setup they have.  N. ampullaria a low light plant but tolerates very bright light with time.  It never will produce a very red peristome under their growing conditions, and they may be growing the plant in great conditions.
When selecting a plant of course coloration is important, but often not considered is the vigor and growth rate.  It should be.
Somone commented to me that their all red form of S. flava only produced one leaf a year, that is too slow.
It is common for plants grown in strong light to be more compact, with smaller pitchers, and slower growth rate.  Also it is common with darkly colored plants to be less vigorous, weak.  But maybe if they could bump up the temperature the plant would grow faster?
A sure way to get a very red S. leucophylla is to cross it with a S. rubra gulfensis, these plants almost always retain dark red tops and look true to form with S. leucophylla.  As well a red S. flava crossed with a S. leucophylla will generally be a vigorous stunning S. leucophylla.
Take care,
Mike
St. Petersburg Florida

Hi Mike,
The pink lipped leuco in question was acquired from the Apalachicola National Forest park via Phil Wilson and I agree colour forms in species like this is due to hybrid introgression within its natural range.

The good thing about this particular plant it retains its Autumn crop of huge pitchers and the Spring pitchers are generally much more robust than other leucos I have, except there is L19 on my list, giant purple & white, off route 71, near Altha (North west of ANF).

To get the plants like this in the UK, the plants get the highest amount of sunlight the climate gives and on the world sun index of 1 to 10, the maximum strength is 6 to 7.

I will be going down to the gulf states in the summer to view the sites for the first time, how long does it take to get from Tallahasee to St.Petersburg? I would like to meet up.

It's not availible at the moment but S. Leucophylla 'Titan' at pitcherplant.com is the only one you need. It grows pitchers that look almost exactly like a normal plant but they grow to distrubing size. The description says they can get about 38 inches high. Mine only (ONLY!) got about 29. It's huge!

Hi Gafoto,
Welcome to the forum!

With Titan, it is an incredible plant> I have just obtained it a week ago from the USA and from the website from Botanique, it does look like a super plant. HOWEVER, the pink lipped leuco that Richard and I grow grows to 39 inches (picture of my plant posted by Richard on 9/4) and to top that there is also a leuco (L20 on my growlist) that reached 42" so there are some big leucos about.
But there are other collectables, like all green leuco (Bill Scholl's discovery in 1993) pubescent forms notably from Citronelle and Perdido river locations, the yellow flowered form, 'Schnell's ghost'(not anthocyanin free) and the giant green & white from Citronelle (L2) which are all worth having displaying different characteristics, but all worth having.
I guess it is a question of 'what is your favourite leuco?' but with some fine plants out there it is hard to decide which is the best. They are all lovely!

Back