What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pour water in my Sarracenia?

I heard some where that you are supposed to pour water into the pitchers. Is this true? and if so how much should I pour in?
biggrin.gif

DK,

most people only add water to purps, I have added it to all my sars with no ill effect, simply because texas is so freakin hot the pitcher fluid evaporates!

Never fill the pitcher more than 3/4ths full... you need to have some 'trapping zone' and you don't want it to be top heavy.

fill it with distilled water.

I never go more than 1/2, and unless it's a purp, I never even go that high... staying in the 1/8th or so range...

if your pitchers have fluid in the bottom, then you probably don't need to do anything.

Here in Southern CA one is lucky to see any fluid in sarracenia pitchers once they have opened
biggrin.gif
. I usually fill the pitchers at least halfway, as long as the pitchers can hold it. the main reason I put water in is so that the ants don't steal the insects.
Peter

i agree about the heat in texas! Yesteday, it got up to 111*F real fast!!!!!!!!!!
wow.gif
wow.gif

where are you lithopsman?

I am in san antonio, and it didn't get above 92 here... you must be further south and west... 111 is quite a temp... you sure that wasn't the heat index?
wow.gif

Nearish to dallas. About 2 hours away. Nope, not the heat index. It's currently 102*F, yesterday, 111*F but only for about a minute.
wow.gif

Yea that is definatley a bit on the warm side
tounge.gif
I figured it wouldn't hurt my sar so I put a few drops of distilled water in the pitchers, we'll see what happens I guess
wink.gif
thanks for the tips. This is my first pitcher, so I am a bit unfamiliar with them. I have been growing my VFT's for about a year, some two. They are doing excellent. I just didn't want to kill my first pitcher.

Back