What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus

I might buy a bareroot Cephalotus,does anybody else grow these?I kinda want to get one in pot,but only 1 of my sources has them,if anyone was giving or selling one I'd be pleased to hear about it.thanks a bunch!
biggrin.gif

I can hook you up with a potted cephalotus, email or message me. Thanks

Have fun growing it! It is an awsome plant!!
Cole

Fun but sloooooow. Got some crowns growing, seems fast enough, but pitcher development takes forever.

yeah, mine seemed to take six months just to settle in...

I have never had it happen to me, but many growers report a mysterious 'death' of their plants even when it's set up in a good enviornment...

if this happens with your new plant, don't sweat it, keep the pot around, many many times the plant comes back.

keepem in a deep pot, the suckers have HUGE tap roots.

Ceph88,

I have been thinking of growing a ceph I am aquiring from my brother-in-law outside on my deck... you know my south texas conditions... what do you think?

We get a 10 to 15 degree temperature drop between day and nigth, average summer temps are in the mid to high 90's... humidity is around 60% for the most part right now...

Exact same conditions with me RamPuppy. I live in Lubbock, Texas and it is the exact same here. What I usually do for my Cobra Lily and VFTs and Pitchers is I let them get full sun in morning light then I bring them in when it gets hot. I put them in a terrarium where I just set them under grow lights. Then I let them get some settting sun light which doesn't hurt them. They do fine. But would the conditions be ok for a Cephalotus.

The bad thing is I don't know of anywhere where I could get one. It would be even more rare if I could find one planted in a pot.

Does anyone know a good place to buy a Ceph? A place that will ship to AK would be great
smile.gif

I don't have any problem shipping to Alaska.  I can ship in pot also for small orders.  Just hit the homepage button at the bottom of this post.  The online pricelist link from there will take you to everything I have available (yes Cephalotus).
Tony

You are so Rad tony...

We are always "I can't find this plant"

ANd here comes Tony...

"Hey.. I can ship that to you!
smile.gif
"

What do you think Tony.. .could i get away with growing a Ceph outdoors here?

Wow, thanks Tony
biggrin.gif

I'm checking it out right now..

Got one from Tony a couple weeks ago. Beautiful and healthy plant!

But, I have a question. It looks as though some of the pitcher lids are gradually closing. What is this? Does this happen when they catch prey? Otherwise, the plant seems to be doing just fine outside on my 3rd floor balcony.

Leo

Leo - Probably due to the humidity difference from where the plant was growing. Future pitchers will be more adapted to your growing environment.

As for growing outside in Texas. Perhaps.. I don't fully know what your growing conditions and humidity are like on a year round basis. Cephs. like warm days (80 +- 5degrees) and cool nights (65 +- 5degrees) How warm in the day would depend on your humidity and such. With higher humidity they can take warmer temps. They don't like to get overheated at the roots, so may need to be watered daily in a well drained mix if days start going over 85 regularly. They are not as tempermental as Darlingtonia though for needing cool roots. Winter they can get pretty cold although it is not needed. The biggest factors I have found are to keep them in a well drained mix (I use 1:1 perlite:peat) and keep them moist not sopping wet. And to remove any dying leaves as they form tight clumps and decaying leaves will often cause rot. Good air circulation helps to prevent fungus within the clump of leaves too.
Tony

Here is a link to some more culture tips (not my own work hehe)
Ceph culture

Well, I think I am going to try it...

But first, I am going to use a hygrometer/thermometer to get the exact conditions on my veranda.

As I said, 90+ days are very common here, but the humidity is almost always in the 50 to 70 range... we get constant moisture from the gulf...

I have had good success in the past growing cephs using the tray method, as long as the pot is really deep and the bottom layer is exclusively orchid bark...

I can provide it with a little protection from the South Texas sun as well, my passion vines are close to covering my entire porch (with a little help from the cucumbers and gourds).

Many do grow them in a tray and I have heard of fine results. Some let the tray dry a day or two between watering. Some don't... I think your right to just watch that the plant is in a nice deep pot so that the water is a fair distance away from the top of the soil surface.

Yes the question is on the temps if it will be too hot in the summer. I am afraid I don't have a good answer there. My greenhouse will hit the high 80s when we have a real hot spell but that is usually only for a few days or so. Plus summer only lasts 2-3 months lol.
Tony

I find that the best pitchers are produced in the cool spring. The plant definately does not appreciate warm roots, and hates waterlogged conditions. A loose mix will ensure good oxygenation to the roots, and will discourage anerobic decomposition. Mine appreciate a regular flushing of the pot, avoiding wetting the rosette if possible. Don't let the small size of the rosette fool you, these plants have thick roots, and a larger pot is better than a small one as they also seem to resent transplant.

Back