What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd plant advice

Im interested in getting a 2nd trap to join my VFT which is growing well, there are 3 different one in my local garden centre

1. Sundew
2. Pitcher plant with red veiny pitcher
3. Nepenthes

Given my limited plant knowledge and the fact I live in the UK which one am I more likely be to successful with??

Cheers

Andy

1 and 2 would do well with a VFT.

Hi there.
I assume the second plant in your list is a Sarracenia purpurea. Does it look anything like this? :

pitcherthumb.jpg

All three plants are fairly easy to care for and if you can look after a VFT then you should have no problems. All can sit on a sunny windowsill and should be watered with rain or distilled water. Keep the sundew and purpurea in a saucer and water the nepenthes from above.
If I had to choose the easiest, I would go for the sundew, then the purpurea and then the nepenthes.

Hi

It did look a lot like the one in the picture - like this

spurpureajwm.jpg

it only had 2 pitchers on which were about 4 inches high by 1inch wide, the Nepenthes were a lot bigger plant but pitchers were around 2 inches by half an inch.  All were £3.98.

Thanks for all the replies,

Andy

Hi Andy,
You will best be off with option 2, the Sarracenia is easy to grow. BTW, you live only 1 1/2 hours away from me, I hope you like this forum!

Hi Mike, the Sarracenias in B&Q when I went didnt look too impressive and pretty small, I went for a sundew and a nepenthes, I hope I have as much success with these as the VFT!

sundew.jpg

nep.jpg

Cheers,

Andy

PS - yeah the forums cool, thanks to whoever runs it!

Back