What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My s. purpurea

Today I noticed my purpurea pitcher plant sending up a flower stalk for the first time. Most of my other plants I have cut off most of the flower stalks, and I was wondering if I should do the same with this plant? Thanks
smile.gif

do you cut them off them plant them. How do you prepare and plant them

Well, if you want have a beautiful flower and seed, keep it. If you don't, cut it off! When Sarracenia flower, it doesn't deprive the plnt hardly, unlike other plants who may put all energy on their flower. You should snip it off when its about 1/2 an inch to 3 inches if you decide not to have it. I would urge you do keep it!
Kevin

Thank you for the advice. How would I go about getting seeds from the flower? I have tried it with VFT's but have never been successful.

If it is outside bees will most likely pollinate it for you, but to self it, just get some yellow powerdery pollen on a toothpick or other similar thing and dab it on the little "knob" on the 5 points of the flower's upside down umbrella. Here's a photo for a little better indication of what I am talking about.

venosa6.jpg

My mom cut the flower off the other day. She has been taking care of them for me for the last 5 months or so, on the VFT's and most of my other CP's I tell her to just cut the flower stalk off.

I didn't tell her not to cut it off, so I guess it's my fault. I was still pretty upset though
sad.gif

Back