What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia x dixie lace

G

How large does this hybrid grow to be? I got one from little pot of horrors about a year ago, and just identified it after visiting Balboa Park in California this summer.

I think they get to be around a foot long, when full-grown.

OK, thanks
smile.gif

Prepare to be patient though. It's taken mine about 5 years to reach the 1' mark and finally flower. This plant just loves to divide. It seems like all it's energy is in dividing, rather than attaining size. Beautiful plant though.
Imduff

The plant is quite vigorous in producing pitchers. My plant was currently producing 7 inches pitchers (not anymore)
sad.gif
. The pitchers can get deep crimson red while having "windows" when given full sun. (An amazing site). The plant has crimson flowers in the spring. It's an amazing fly catcher. Two members in this forum have part of the plant whom I traded with. They are Jaie and Pyro. Ask them about more.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (eplants02 @ Oct. 07 2002,05:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">My plant was currently producing 7 inches pitchers (not anymore)
sad.gif
.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Has anyone else noticed this with S. x 'Dixie Lace'?  Last year my pitchers were quite big and robust - maybe 12 inches tall.  This year, the plant seems to be making a larger clump of smaller pitchers that aren't as vigorous.

The only obvious change is that I repotted it while it was dormant - in late winter/early spring.  It's in the same basic media, but in a slightly smaller pot (still plenty of room though).

If its growing in a pot, it may have run out of room. Otherwise, I would guess that its putting more energy into overall pitcher production than it is into pitcher size. But yes, it is a very, very prolific hybrid. I was going to divide mine this past spring, but had such a hard time finding all the growth points amongst all the pitchers, with my miniscule patience, I gave up. I'm going to have to do it this next spring though, it's smothering the neighboring plants.

Yeah, the thing makes clumps like crazy.  You have to keep an eye on them, as pests like scale and aphids love to set up shop down in the clumps where you can't see them or get to them.

While we're on the subject, I think S. x 'Dixie Lace' gets my vote for the worst bug catcher of any Sarracenia in existence.  I don't think I've ever seen one catch a bug - not even ants.

Still is pretty though....

Welcome to the Forum, chuckr.  
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

I don't have the plant anymore that's why I said (not anymore). In my opinion it is a great catcher. Before having my Dixie Lace, it caught wasps, thousands of ants, and flys in the autumn season.

you notice this plant replicating so much because the problems were not ironed out throughout propagation, and as a reuslt it isn't growing correctly.  True enough it has rubra in it and wants to replicate growth points, but the media was incorrect and as a cultivar all of these plants are coming out of tissue culture, or were ......

This plant produces 2 types of pitchers a more laid back or semi decumbant spring pitcher and then a large more erect summer fall pitcher.

To move the plant along I suggest you seperate the growth points toward the end of dormancy, just prior to season divide the rhizome.  Once the plants acclimate you will notice more rapid growth which is what was intended for a tissuce culture plant.  While the plants will clump again, not like before they were divided.  This is the improper ex-plant growing without division.  As a tissue cultured plant the ex-plants were not divided correctly.

A really pretty smaller plant to about 12" in cultivation and a pretty deep red bloom in April.  Butterscotch pitchers are the lower spring ones followed by dark maroon erect larger ones with areoles later in the season,
Mike
St. Petersburg Florida

Thanks for that Mike. I remember reading on another forum (G*****web
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif
) that Dixie Lace did have problems due to tissue culture issues. I think I even read that it was possible for the plant to die if it was not divided.
I got hold of a small Dixie Lace yesterday and I can't wait until next spring!

Back