What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuzzy rubra?

RamPuppy

I stole what Phil and I both think is an S. Rubra from his green house this weekend... what set it apart, and caught my eye, or more importantly, my finger, was that the entire plant is velvety to the touch.

Is this common? I have never seen it before. From tip to rhiozome, this plant feels like cheap velvet. very cool, and very pretty.

There is a form of S. alata called pubescens which has fine white hairs covering the plant.

Maybe you have the first S. rubra pubescens.
biggrin.gif

the one i ordered from pft is just like that
it's a rubra allright .

i just thought rubra's were like that .

i would take a pic but i doubt the hairs could be seen
it's just like rampuppy described .. ?

is it an alata on accident ?

either way i love it , took a while to get but i think that just makes it even more kool , i was looking forword to it for all the growth point 's .
when i got it it had them and was even fuzzy!!!!!.

is it a mutant ?

S.rubra 'alabamensis' and S.rubra 'wherryi' very commonly are "furry" to the touch.

imduff

WOAH
talk about an awsome planty.

those are hard to find and offten expencive!! :eek:(

so now we just need to find out which ones we have, wherryi, or alabamensis?

You bet your posterior this sucker is getting crossed... I want a fuzzy lucy!
smile.gif

Hi Rampuppy,
The way to tell which rubra it is is the alabamensis spring pitchers are 'S' shaped and the wherryi pitcher normally do not exceed 6" high. Likely the plant you have would be the wherryi as most of mine are fuzzy like that..

sounds right.

wow.gif
I got a lil pot of horrors, and i thought it was a rubra, it had fuzzy pitchers, but 'S' shaped pitchers!!!
wow.gif
wow.gif
wow.gif
wow.gif

Spec, little pots of horrors are incredibly imature plants, the pitchers will probably change, not saying I know what you have or not, just saying that if it is still producing imature pitchers, you'll want to wait to see it's mature ones before you really know.

If the plant came from Little Pot of Horrors, there's a good chance that it's an alabamensis. For a while alabamensis was available from tc. When the plant is mature, you'll be able to determine which one it is.

Ram Puppy, there's a pubescent leucophylla around but I wouldn't know anywhere that sells it in America. I know there are a couple of places here but they sell for a high price.

I would be afraid to get one of those plants. People would come in my dormroom and start pointing and laphing for sure....

Anyway, so LPOH sells immature plants? My VFT came from them and it's growth has always sugested it came from seed to me. So now it makes more sence. Let me think, it flowerd for the first time this year and I got it... almost 4 years ago. Seems right.

Back