What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Heliamphora tips

I am hopefully getting one of the Heliamphoras soon, but can't really find any detailed info on them. Even Savage Garden is a bit broad, so basically I figured there were going to be other people buying Exotic Garden's Heliamphora so we should start at least a basic tip page.

I want to know if I can it will be ok growing in my windowsill. My appartment is kept at REALLY high humidity for my other plants, and I can mist them if anyone thinks is neccesary. I am wondering if 14 hours of direct sun will fry them or will they just turn dark colors. I have a few Neps(Judith Finn, Ventricosa Red, & Sanquinaia Pink) growing in the window doing great. Anyways, ya,input would be cool. Later.

14 hours of sun wouldn't burn your heliamphora, IF (!!!) the plants don't get to hot.
If you can mist them daily they propably will grow on your windowsill (why not using a terrarium without a cover ?)
But ask the people you buy them from under which condition the Heli ahs grown up.
It will take some weeks/months to establish an ex-invitro heliamphora to windowsill conditions.

"Easy" heliamphora are :
The hybrids, heterodoxa

"medium" Heliamphora are :
minor, hispida, ionasii (?), nutans 'Giant', neblinea

difficult are :
nutans (Tramen tepui), tatei, spec. Ilu tepui

Martin

Hispada is the one I really want the most, but I can only find those at sites that are in like europe and stuff, and it is too expensive to pay all that shipping for one plant.

I've had sucess growing heliamphora in about 1/2 perlite, 1/4 peat and 1/4 sand. That was in medium light and cool humid conditions. Make sure to only keep the soil moist at all times.
Rubrarubra

I am also...... how to put it...... wanting...... a heliamphora... I know where i can buy one for 15 dollars canadian. I"m so happy. My b-day is coming up, and so is march break. That means i can probably go and get it! WOOO! Its an hour drive away, but tough! Anyhow, does anybody know what species has the least pinch in the middle? I mean, i want one that is as conical as possible, u know? Help is appreciated, thanks!

Heterodoxa and minor are good to start with as are the heterodoxa hybrids.   Heliamphora need lots of light and high humidity for best pitcher development.  Heterodoxa from Gran Sabana can take warmer temperatures but even then you don't want to fry them.  They like a well drained airy mix and frequent watering.  I would not recommend sitting them in water.  My heliamphora grow in a mix of chopped longfiber NZ sphagnum moss, perlite, and small coconut husk chips.  They are watered overhead about every other day with RO water.

Tony

(Edited by Tony Paroubek at 2:30 pm on Mar. 9, 2002)

Back