What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

weird green bugs

There are alot of little green bugs living in the soil to my sarracenia rubra. The new growth on the plant has started to die and kind of rot away are they eating the rhizome or something?
And also can I use ORTHENE, Sevin insecticide on it or will it kill my plant? The active ingredient in it is Carbaryl (1-naphthyl N-methylcarbonate) if that helps???
Or how can I kill them and what will do the job?
Please Help,
John

the little green bugs are most likely aphids.I dont think orthene will kill the plants but i would say it doesnt.Consult someone who knows more about that though.Hope it helps,
Kevin
wink.gif

Hey,
A commom practice I read about for dealing with pests like this is drowning them. Completely submerge the plant in a bucket of distilled/R.O./rain water. These are, after all, bog plants and being flooded for a short time won't hurt them. Kills the bugs, though.
wow.gif

They might be aphids do aphids have a lot of legs, I looked at them under a magnifying glass and the have tons of legs like a millipede...?
Oh well I am going to try and go drown them like Schloaty sayed, it might work?
John

tounge.gif

If it has a ton of legs, then its not an aphid. You could try Orthene, but be very careful how much to use. Don't learn the hard way like I did. I put too much on the center of my D. capensis and the center turned black. But of course, its a capensis and this plant is practically immortal. It produced 2 new growing points and continues growing from there
biggrin.gif

Back