What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dormancy

Hi! I live in the southwest US and its pretty hot here in the winter, about 45-5? during the night. I was thinking of putting a sarr. in the side yard by a cold wall. Would this work? Thanx
confused.gif

Sounds ok. My plants were frozen numerous times down to -20F last winter. All survived even the little VFTs in 2 1/2 inch pot with about 4 inches of soil! It also is important on how long they have been frozen. Many weeks will kill a plant in that kind of weather but a day shouldn't hurt it.

Actually I meant that it might be too hot here in southern CA. (45 degrees f. through the fifties at night) 45-5? might've confusing.

DD,
At that temp, they will enter a light dormancy, so make sure they get a couple hours of light (not all day, or you might wake them up). My plants were in dormancy last winter in the 50's, even 60 (rarely), durring the day, low 50s, high 40's at night.

Hmm... It might be a little hotter during the day, maybe I'll put some frozen distilled h20 cubes in the bag.

So do you think that 65 degrees would be ok? I don't know how much ice cubes will cool it down. any suggestions for further cooling?

Back