What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. Dixie Lace

Hey all,
My Dixie Lace recently just shot up a flower bud. Seeing the stem as the bud is kinda a small maybe tiny.

That's cool! Hey if you get seed can I talk you out of a tiny bit?

That's cool! Yes, the buds start out pretty small, but the stalk will gradully lengthen, and the bud will swell. Take some pics and post them when it opens.

Flint, If his plant does set seed, the seedlings will not be 'Dixie lace'. Sarracenia hybrids never reproduce true from seed. The plants show a great deal of variations wich comes from the various plants they were made up from. Eg, To get x Catesbaei you cant self pollinate catesbaei flowers and call the seedlings by this name. You would have to create the hybrid by crossing S. Flava with purpurea (or vice versa). Of course, cultivars also confuse the issue! Even if you were to follow the same parantage in the same order for dixie lace then these still couldn't be called dixie lace! Cultivars can only be propogated by asexual means. (division, root/leaf cuttings etc) Does this make sense or am I rambling and tataly confusing everybody even more?!!!
smile.gif

No it makes perfect sense, I was under the impression though that Sarr. hybrid seed would turn out like the parent plant. Oh well, I'll have to keep my eyes open for a trade of the plant then. Which is fairly unlikely because I don't have a whole lot in my collection at present. Least not that I am willing to part with.

If I were you, I'd self the flower. I bet you would end up with some really cool looking plants, and a wide variety of shapes and colors. You couldn't call them x'Dixie Lace', probably would have to call them x'Dixie Lace' F2. I'd even offer to help take some of that seed off your hands :)

Hey sarracenia,
I was wondering how do you post pics? I tried it a couple of times but it didn't seem to work for me. Also sarracenia, I was thinking more like a trade for the seeds.

(Edited by eplants02 at 10:12 am on Mar. 7, 2002)

I personally don't know how to post pics to this message board. I know nothing about html and all that. But I would gladly trade for some seed. I have a few plants that are sending up buds now, such as S. oreophila x 'willisii', S. flava, S. rubra x (leuco x purpurea). I'm sure there will be more. I have a big fat S. purp x flava that looks like a flower is coming, but I'm not 100% sure yet. There should also be several other hybrids I have that will flower, they just haven't gotten around to it yet. Temps haven't warmed up too much yet, where I'm at. But yeah, i'll trade with you if you want.

The flower bud is still tiny, how big is it suppose to get.

I'm not sure for Dixie Lace. I would guess the flower stalk will get to be 8-12 inches tall and the flower around 2 inches in diameter.

Back