What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mitchelliana(purpurea x leucophylla)

I think this plant is pretty... Just wondering though, do you fill the pitchers with water, or do they make their own enzymes??? I know the website for a pic, but its at the Online Store, so I'm not sure if I should post the link...

i think you should let them produce theyre own, as water tends to allow the dead bugs to float rather then sink.

You don't need to fill it with water.

Yea, but some NEED water... You need to give purpurea water, so i was wondering if this was the same with this one...

But ok ,t hats kewl, now i want it even MORE... oh no. Hehehehe... I dont like the water idea.

Since no hybrids are exactly alike from seed. There is a great variation of what you will have. I've heard of some plants of this hybrid that do not produce their own liquid. Most likely the plant will produce enzymes, so leave it alone and if it has none in the new pitchers then fill 'er up.

Hi Guys,
With purp venosa as one of the parents, I fill the venosas with water to help them catch. With mitcheliana type hybrids, in practice I don't fill them up at all, but unlike the trumpet type pitchers such as flava etc, and depending on the strength of the pitcher, it may be beneficial to it to have a little bit of water if you are gowing indoors. This type of hybrid is not a very successful insect catcher for me, and some of the plants don't get anything all year. But they still grow OK without!

Back