What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Southernmost Sarr

Hello everyone

I've always loved sarrs ever since I first saw a picture of purpurea. The problem is that I my location on the globe doesn't really give me the oportunity to give them a winter dormancy.
sad.gif
I'm giving them a try anyway, but I was wondering if anyone knows the southernmost growing Sarracenia plant. I have leucophylla and 'judith hindle' at the moment, but I would love to try out more. Thank you.
smile.gif

joel

I don't think purps need dormancy... someone correct me if I'm wrong. I also think they withstand pretty cold temps (below freezing).

Edit: Sorry for the bum info... they do require dormancy

I have never heard that purps don't need dormancy... I have always put mine down for the winter...

I know that purpera extends into Texas, as does I believe Flava and Alata, I think Lucy's have made it into the big thicket as well... other than that, not entirely sure...

The Southern most Sarr is S. minor (if memory serves me.) Not sure if it can get away with no dormancy but if you give it a reduced photoperiod, keep the media only damp and give it the coolest temps you can then you might be okay.

Pyro

If worst comes to worst, you can always dig up the rhizome in the fall, stick it in the fridge for a couple of months, then plant out again. Make sure you dose it with a fungicide before you do that.

Back