What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. purpurea isn\'t purpurea :))

M

MikeP

I have just one question. Why my sarracenia purpurea isn't red as normal. I keep it in terrarium 28 C deg. and 80 % humidity. all pitchers are green. what is wrong???
i have also 2 sylvanias gro-lux 30 W. please help me...

I don't know much about artificial light, but it may simply not be enough. Or, you might have the all green form of purp., which doesn't get red. But dont worry, no red coloration doesn't mean its ill or anything bad.

Unless it's an anthocyanin-free variety, it's just not getting enough light.

If you want to try to get yours as red as mine give it TONS of sunlight.

9990483-a8df-01600120-.jpg

Hi Mike,
What subspecies of purpurea is it? Sarracenias are not really good long term candidates for terrariums.

I have one, but it is heterophylla, i found out.

Mike King, how do you like my S.Purpurea subsp. Purpurea? Neppie, yeah if he has a Heterophylla form of Purpurea it will never turn red. Just yellowish-green.

Hi Nep G,
Your purp is not bad! Considering it is window sill grown, it seems OK. Neppie, to be sure you have the heterophylla form, look at the crown where the pitchers emerge and that should be totally green without any hint of red at all. If Mike P's plant is still green when he expected it to be green, and it is purpurea subsp. purpurea, he would be better off growing it full sun even in Poland where he comes from (very similar climate to where you live Nep G!)

Mike King, that isn't a wondowsill grown Purpurea Purpurea. It is just inside because we have had hard winds in our area due to storms and I don't want the flower stalks to be busted off. It is actually an outdoor plant like it should be but inside for the high wind issues.
smile.gif

Hi Nep G,
Well, must be bad storms, over here I have planted some shrubs to act as wind breaks over here. I think my wife would have something to say if 400 S. purpureas ended up inside our house on a stormy day!

I would even have something to say about that! :cheesy: But how do you like the flowers? Nice Plant? Also how do Purpurea Purpurea's flowers smell?

Hi Nep G,
The flowers aren't nearly as intoxicating as S.flava!

Hi Mike King, now that the flowers are more opened they smell like a roseyish smell to me.
smile.gif

Hi NeP G.
I bet your Mom and Dad don't mind that flower then in the house!
With S.flava,I know the cat would get a ticking off from my wife if she did not know better!

I only had 1 S. flava bloom last year, but this year i had about 4 bloom. Man, you can smell that stench from 10 feet away when they're all open!

So that is how Purpurea purpurea smells to you right? Also, I kinda LIKE S.Flava's smell. Smells like mandarin oranges to me.

Back