What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia IDs

trashcan

O:-)
I'm trying to identify some of the plants I purchased offbase. They were just identified as Sarracenia, and one as Sarracenia hybrid (how descriptive). I posted the pics on a geocities site. They may take a little while to download, because they are at 1024*768, or pretty close.  I'm also horrible with pictures, and one is especially blurry. Sorry!

I think the quality of my new digital camera is breathtaking, its too bad I'm horrible with it. :).

Mystery Sarracenia

I also have a fourth one that I don't have a picture of right now, but I might post it later.

Phil- is this an acceptable use of the board? I don't want to cause any problems. :)

Okay to my knowledge pic.#1 looks like S.Minor Or a hybrib between it. pic.#2 no Idea. Pic.#3No idea. Pic.#4. S.minor or if it has a soft tounge at the opening it is a Darlingtonia Californica. Yes that is a Nep.Atlata you have there. your VFT lookks fine to me not unhealthy at all! Hope this Clears things up Nep.G.

#1 looks like minor x psittacina (= "xwrigleyana"). others are too young or blurred to tell.

Did you mean S. leucophylla x psittacina = S wrigleyana? Or did you mean that it looked like S minor x psittacina = s formosa? Or is s (m x p) also sometimes called wrigleyana? (I don't know what I'm talking about, I just looked up the names).. I would think it does not appear have any leucophylla genes it, but it is very young.

Patrick

also- there is no tongue in Picture #4, so I'll assume it is Sarracenia minor.

I couldn't tell from the picture but now it is an S.Minor. Nep.G.

I've got questions instead...

Do the pitchers all grow like Trashcan's pictures? I see phyllodia (leaves during dormancy) and wiry pitchers!

Mine's like that too. Lack of light when it's supposed to be summer for them now...

Which of my plants have phyllodia? I've read about them, but I assumed my plants didn't have any..

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from trashcan on 11:58 pm on Oct. 22, 2001
Did you mean S. leucophylla x psittacina = S wrigleyana? [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

sorry, yes I did. your plants are young and are not grown in good enough light to be sure though

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from gardenofeden on 5
wow.gif
8 am on Oct. 24, 2001
sorry, yes I did. your plants are young and are not grown in good enough light to be sure though
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I've only had the plants for one month.. :-(

#1 - I'm pretty sure it's an S. rubra of some sort.
#2 - definitely S. minor
#3 - hard to say from pic, could be S. leucophylla or a hybrid with it, perhaps leuco x rubra
#4 - definitely a hybrid with S. psittacina, I see no fenestrations, so I don't think it's psittacina x minor, maybe psittacina x flava or rubra.
#5 - can't say just from phyllodia

Trashcan, Pic 5 is Sarracenia Oreophila. I am 99.9999999999% sure! No other Sarracenia produces phyllodia that are so tightly curved as that. Otherwise it is a Hybrid with a VERY strong streak of Oreophila in it.

If it is Oreophila your a #### lucky person! I can never get that plant without traveling all the way to California!

Pic 5 seems more like S.flava to me. I've had some phyllodia just like that from my flava var. cutthroat. If you bought the plant than it probably isn't oreophylla, because it is illegal for someone to sell oreophylla. Info on the source of these plants may help in identifying them.

If it is Oreophila and you bought it then that person is lucky he/she hasn't gotten caught. I think however that it is probably a Flava now that I look at it more.

The phyllodia are one of the main forms of identification for S. Oreophila. Flava's may occasionaly produce a curved one, but the majority will be long and straight.
The following 2 photo's are of my plants to compare the differences.

8684351-4936-015B01AD-.jpg

S. Flava
8684372-0962-01E4017E-.jpg

S. Oreophila

As you can see, the phillodia of both species are quite unique and hard to confuse with each other.

S.Flava's phyllodia look like what S.Leucophylla does with it's leaves in winter.

S.oreophylla isn't a common plant that is very easy to acquire. If all the plants were just labeled as "Sarracenia", than the chances of getting an oreophylla is very rare. S.oreophylla is illegal to sell anyways, so I highly doubt it is an oreophylla.

Back