What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will leaf cuttings work? I've checked many websites and books and nobody mentions this technique except James Pietrapaulo in his book Carnivorous Plants of the World. I ripped the leaf off the rhizome, and the bottom part is white, so there's a little bit of rhizome attached. I planted the leaves. Will anything grow from this? I tried this same thing several months ago on a S. minor leaf. The leaf is still green but no roots. I'm attempting the new leaf cuttings on a S. leucophylla and a S. rubra g. x leucophylla.

I've done it once and it worked! Actually, the pitcher was accidentally removed, but it was entirely intact, with a bit of the rhizome attached. I just stuck it in the ground and forgot about it. Not much happened for about 3 months, then tiny pitchers started growing around it.
<p>
I don't think it's a good way to propagate your plants, as the aforementioned plant is still a bit small, 3 summers later. I would say using leaf cuttings is the equivalent of getting a 1-year old plant, but that's just based on my one experience. If you really want more plants, just wait and divide the rhizome when the time comes. Also, you don't know for sure what long-term affect removing leaves is going to have on the plant itself.

What if you used phyllodia? Wouldnt that be kind like using a Mexican Ping's winter leaves?

The leaves I plucked needed to be plucked. They were the older leaves and I wanted to make room for the newer ones. So instead of tossing them, I figured, what the heck, I'll just plant them. It seems the plant will grow new leaves from where i ripped the old leaf off. I divide what I can, but growing a new Sarr from a leaf cutting sounds interesting, if it can be done. How much attached rhizome does it need for this to work?

Back