What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus flowers

I have a Cephalotus that will flower soon. This the first time I have a Cephalotus flower. Is there anything special I need to do to get a good amount of seed.

thanks
Jeremiah

I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you but I do have some questions if you don't mind:

How large does your Ceph have to be before it flowers?
Did you lengthen the daylight hours or raise temps or anything extra to get it to produce a spike?

Thanks!

My Cephalotus is not that big maybe 2 1/2 inches.

I keep it in my greenhouse. So the temps have been a little higher lately and it has been getting a lot of sun.

Right now the spike is 4 inches tall.

PS. Could a mod please change the meny to many

Thanks

they usually self pollinate, or you can do it with a paint brush.
watch out for the seeds growing, they become hairy protruding from the flower and then suddenly fall all at once!
sow them immediately on the surface of compost, they will germinate next spring.

cool
thanks for the info

how many seeds should I expect

thanks
Jeremiah

wow, mine is 6" across clump and not making any progress towards flowering (that I can tell). Maybe it needs that daylight shift to initiate flowering? Mine just in my highland nep enclosure.

I think its 6 seeds per flower
biggrin.gif

Germinate in the spring? They just sit on the soil for that long? A whole year? DOH! I better be patient, just sowed mine....
mad.gif

not a year, usually Aug to March, 8 months. they are slow.

Back