What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My little bog seems to be doing OK, in fact it's been great, but the center plant is a S. purpurea venosa that can't seem to make new leaves that last.

The new leaves are coming out pinkish--as if there were no chlorophyll in them. They are smaller than the originals and don't seem to last very long. They do, however, make complete pitchers.

Too much light, maybe? The plant is in the center of a very large pot (equal parts LFS, peat and perlite) that has a J Finn, a S. Rubra, a S. wrigleyana, a Green Dragon, a tiny bit of live sphagnum and three N. American sundews. All are doing just great except for this purpurea.

They are outside--get loads of sunlight, and lots of rainwater. I water them during dry spells with distilled.

Steve

Hey, all of my new pitchers start out red, then develop veins, and the other colors. How long do the Pitchers last? Do they actually die before the older ones are starting to degrade? It may be a fungus (?
confused.gif
) that develops weak pitchers & kills them before they can take off. I hope that helps at least alittle
confused.gif
If they are in bright sunlight, they may be smaller than the originals if they got less light.

Hope this helps!
Cole

Thanks, Cole.

Yes, I have had a pitcher grow, open up, die and wither away, while the original pitchers sit there, very green indeed. This is the second "weak" one.

The new ones are just a pale pink. There does not seem to be any disease involved, but if there is I need to find it quickly before the other sarrs fall prey.

I hope that you are right and that it will green up a bit--but it doesn't look like it will.

Steve

well, they are drying out I bet. What you have to do is fill the pitchers with some rain or distilled water, hence collected rainwater in the wild. So next time a pitcher, or if there are some that are already up, fill it halfway with some water,
                                           Kevin

I can't help you with the reason they die, but my purpurea traps start out the same: a pale, pinkish color, and then after a few days the pitcher develops more veination with purple and green coloration. Then again, maybe mine isn't a venosa. I never figured out which subspecies i have.
confused.gif

I have a venosa and a montana and both exhibit that pink colour to the new leaves so I do not think that is too abnormal.

As for why the are dying off, I wish I could help but I have never witnessed anything like that. You might want to check the rhizome, I know that in spring some rhizomes will sucumb to an underground fungus that you never seem to find until it is too late.

Two new leaves are now up--no signs that they will even form into pitchers. Tiny, mutant hoods at the tip.

Looks like it's trouble. I hope I don't lose the whole bog.

Steve

The deformed leaves sounds like phyllodia leaves, but I don't think that S.purpurea produce phyllodia leaves. Are the leaves flat and sword-shaped?

It could also be an aphids infestation.

They look phylloidial, but I'm sure they are just weird.

No aphids. We don't get them here. I know that seems odd, but they just don't like the little plot out back. Maybe it's the plant mix.

STeve

My purperea is a really dark red color almost maroon, I think it may be getting a little bit too much light. All of the new growth that is coming up for the spring is very green though right now.

How much sun is an S. purperea supposed to get?

Back