What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darlingtonia californica

Does the Cobra Lilly require a winter dormancy?..

Yes it does.
smile.gif

Ya, it does. Be very respectful of its Dormancy. Although it doesn't fully stop growing, you should give it the conditions in which it naturaly lives.

Ya. Did some reading and saw some reccomendations to put them into dormancy from about Nov 25 to March 1 or so. I was planning on putting them in a spare refridgerator...temperature prolly around 40 F or so.

Oh if anyone can give any suggestions for how to package VFT's and Cobra Lilly's for dormancy in a fridge I'd appreciate it.

Jeff

Kinda early to worry about dormacy dont ya think  
wink.gif

what  you do is take the plant out of the soil to do that take a clump of soil around the roots and swish  it around in a bowl of water. That will get the soil off without disturbing the roots too much,
Then you will need some antifungal stuff Im not sure which works I dont use the refrdgerator for dormacy. ok so after the fungus stuff is applied to the roots wrap the roots in a wet paper towel then put the plants in a baggie and your set. Then check them every  once in awhile to make sure everything is still fine no fongus or mildew.

For fungicides you can use 3336 or Banrot (both offered by PFT.) I have never used the fridge method either but I would be more inclined to use damp sphag than a paper towel because sphag also has a natural tendancy to inhibit fungus.

Pyro

If you don't use the fridge method, what DO you use?

The alternate method to use is the natural method!!!
smile.gif
In the wild they don't hop out of the ground and into a fridge! I just leave mine outside. That way the light level and temperatures lower, instead of having your plant go from 70ºF w/light to 40ºF w/no light for 24/7. Where do you live?

Where I live (western Oregon) we have mild winters, so I leave all my plants outside. The only time I worry is if the temp's get in the 20's over several days. If that happens I bring my plants into the garage until the temp's rise again.
Jack

Jack,
For Darlingtonia, I would leave them outside all year around, after all, they come from your part of the world. Ideal!
smile.gif

Fridge dormancy is a really deep sleep, and the natural way (still in the pot, and with a short photoperiod for them to photosynthesize in) is a abit healthier... Darlingtonia have been known to be buried in snow in their natural habitat...

Ya, I know that. I live in NH and I have some Darlingtonia, so should I just leave them outside?

It might get a bit too cold on NH but I'd bet you would be oaky to keep them outside for the most part. I would just keep an eye on the weather channel and if you are going to have extended periods of below freezing weather then move the plant to some place protected where the temp will be less harsh (inside a garage or a storage/garden shed/patio closet.)

Pyro

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (unknownclown @ June 29 2002,05:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Kinda early to worry about dormacy dont ya think  
wink.gif

what  you do is take the plant out of the soil to do that take a clump of soil around the roots and swish  it around in a bowl of water. That will get the soil off without disturbing the roots too much,
Then you will need some antifungal stuff Im not sure which works I dont use the refrdgerator for dormacy. ok so after the fungus stuff is applied to the roots wrap the roots in a wet paper towel then put the plants in a baggie and your set. Then check them every  once in awhile to make sure everything is still fine no fongus or mildew.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
When going with the fridge method, can't I just put the entire pot (potting medium and roots all intact) into the fridge? Why is it recommended that one go through all this trouble of taking it out of the soil, washing the roots, applying antifungus, bagging, etc?

uh Jack
smile.gif

You know.... Cobra lillies are from Oregon they grow there in the mountains from california all the way to Southern Washington. So my advice is simple put it outside if you want the happiest plant possible.
wink.gif

Raw you could put the whole thing in there if you wanted but for some of us that would just take up way too much room and we'd have to buy a separate one just for food
sad.gif

Back