What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus leaf/pitcher cuttings

I'm trying a Cephalotus leaf cutting in my lowland Nepenthes tank, it's planted in the N. bical's pot (wether it's rooting or not I can't tell cos so far nothings happening but the leaf is still healthy after two weeks) . All the books say this is a reliable way to make a new Ceph plant and I thought a cohabitation in a nep pot might be a neat way to see if I could keep this species in my lowland tank.
Have any of you been able to make a new Ceph plant from a leaf or pitcher cutting? The leaf was cut near the rhizome with a scalpel, rootone & fungicide dusted and planted in cut live spahgnum moss. The leaf cutting is receiving the same watering & fertilizing regimen as the N. bical.

Any thoughts? Will this actually work?
confused.gif

I've never done it but am tempted to do so. If you have success, let us know. I've done root cuttings successfully
smile.gif

yes, sword, let us know if it does work out for ya. i have 2 Ceph. Giants that aren't really big enough yet to take a cutting from it but next yr. it will be. i read that it is easy to do as log as you have some of the rhizome with the cutting. good luck

I do this every year and propagate lots of plants. The important thing is to pull the leaf off not cut it, because you want the leaf base. Insert the leaves vertically in a pot of pure live sphagnum between the sphagnum and the pot side, to about half their depth. Put the pot where you would normally grow the adult plant. Cuttings take a long time to root and produce young plants, it will be several months before you see young pitchers appearing. Inspect the leaves regularly, and when they have roots they can be potted up into normal compost.. Good luck.

By leaf base do you mean the petiole or an actual part of the rhizome under the soil?
Mine is so compact I can't get to the rhizome (unless I'd dig it up).

I mean the petiole, in other words ALL of the leaf. Pitchers work too but not as well.

Back