What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do sarra seeds need to be refrigerated?

Hello,
I just got some sarracenia alata (heavily veined, Texas.), flava (Walton Co./ Florda.), and leucophylla (leucophylla package labeled, "May contain S. rubra wherryi) for storage, do they need to be refrigerated? and if so, which ones? Thanks,
Spec73
biggrin.gif

Yes, they all need to be refridgerated. Wrap them in damp paper towels and put them at the bottom of the fridge for 4-5 weeks and then sow them. If you just want to store them and don't know when you are going to sow, store them in the fridge dry.

when the seeds are stored damp for germination, should they be treated with a fungicide?
andrew

Hi,
I usually put my seed in dry paper envelopes in the fridge as that discourages fungus and damping off. But it does not matter if that is for 5 weeks or if you want to store them for longer than that. Seeds can be sown end of Jan/early Feb in a cold greenhouse.

Hey,
I am sure you have gotten your answer by now but here goes what I know from my experience. I wrap my seeds in a paper towel and wet it. I put it in a zip lock bag, write the name on it and the date with a sharpie marker and put it in the frig for 4 weeks. I sow the seeds on top of moistened, shredded, long fiber spaghmun moss in a plactic tray. Something clear from the Container Store with a lid is great. I stand it in a shallow dish of rain water or keep water in the bottom part of the container. The seeds start to germinate in 4 weeks. The trays stay under grow lights 24/7. Good luck!

Brooks

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (adnedarn @ Nov. 30 2002,11:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">when the seeds are stored damp for germination, should they be treated with a fungicide?
andrew[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
no, any fungi on a seedcoat usually just speeds germination.

Back