What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia 'scarlet bells'

I am hoping that someone has this in cultivation and that they might be able to provide a photo? Thanks in advance for any help.

I don't mean to sound nitpicky, especially because I love hybrids with S. psittacina, but how did that plant get cultivar status? Looks like any ol' wrigleyana to me.

By the way, anyone know the parentage of the 'Dana's Delight' Sarracenia listed on that AgriStart plants website? Just wondering because I have a leucophylla x willisii that looks just like it.

Hmmm, not at all what I expected. Yawn. Thanks for the photos though.

Notice the page name? "sawri.htm" Looks like it is a page for wrigleyana.

sa = sarracenia, wri = wrigleyana

Just a thought.

Just as you've already realized, "Dana's Delight" is leuco x willisii.

imduff

What do you mean how this plant get named?
confused.gif

Anyone can name a cultivar anyway they would like and register it and certainly plenty of butt ugly ones have already been named. I bring up Delores Wyland which has been pulled from production. Follow the proper submission requirements and name everyone of your seedlings, it can be done if you wish but most will not be worthy of cultivar status this is certain, not in the case with this plant...........

This plant was named by Bob Hanrahan ex WIP, and is his plant.
And once formly described (announced) as per ICPS guidelines will be explained why this is a worthy cultivar.

First it is called Scarlett Belle and not Belles, second the agri-starts picture does the plant no justice,

Pictures of plant cultivar or species grown weak or recent ex-tc transplants are no good to show a finished or mature cultivar. A cultivar can be a species or a hybrid, seems some confusion here as to what exactly a cultivar is on other post.

This is a stunning plant for a wrigleyana, and we have trialed many of this generic hybrid. Its sales peaked at higher numbers than could be produced during the 2002 season and really caught me by surprise. It is robust and extremely colorful. Tolerant of wet and dry without fungal problems and spreads rapidly with most plants I sell producing 40 or so pitchers of moderate height (12"). It offers more than I have expected as with regards to symmetry it is a supurb plant with no awkward huge single fall pitchers and it never misses a beat. Flowers follow through as per S.psittacina with color and size, a deep red with a higher peak on the stalk than a S. psittacina

I have many S. x wrigleyana's and I wouldn't give them the time of day, but this leuco based plant is exceeding all production hope and demand is high for it. I have 3,500 spoken for and am only taking pre-booking for Fall delivery. They are a prime Sarracenia for the trade and a excellent plant for any collector to represent the hybrid of S. leucophylla x psittacina. As I market finished plants I can comment that the finished or mature plant is what should be judged and anything else is premature.

The S. x willisii
smile.gif
is undetermined as to parents, it too has been submitted for cultivar status as Dana's Delight and is a good plant regardless of exact heritage.

Working with bringing Sarracenia into cultivar status is currently being based on trials and the plants final market is to the general horticultural trade in the USA, not the collector.
Plants will be chosen based on this. Form, vigor, color, ease of growing. Collectors will find specialty operations that can vegetatively or through tc propagate collectors plants. It is vital to increase production of properly tagged and colorful cultivars to the general market and increase interest into cp and increase sales to pull in more interest in more collector specific cp that may not be good trade plants.

Mike
St. Petersburg Florida

Apparentely I cannot even find a pic of S.'Delores Wyland'.

Thanks for the information Mike.
It just shows that the text descibing the cultivar is just as important as the photo.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MPH101 @ Feb. 10 2003,9:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Anyone can name a cultivar anyway they would like and register it and certainly plenty of butt ugly ones have already been named.  I bring up Delores Wyland which has been pulled from production.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Having met the actual Delores Wyland I feel the need to speak up for her and the cultivar named after her. A large well grown plant of this cultivar is actually quite stunning and beats out half the stuff that I have seen passed through the pages of CPN recently. So for you to dictate that S. 'Delores Wyland' is "butt ugly" is as much a falacy as some one calling S. 'Scarlet Belle' butt ugly. To each their own.

To each their own indeed! Everyone certainly has their own tastes.

What I find interesting that in both cases the statement that a large well grown plant is the point that it transforms from just another plant (or butt ugly if you prefer) to something more than that. It is amazing that with so many genera how important culture is and what a huge difference it can make to the appearance of the plant.

Tony

Tamiln,
I was looking thorugh one of my plant catlogues last night and found a source for Scarlet Bells and remembered you were looking. Try Tony Avent's nursery, Plant Delights in NC. Scarlet Bells is a UNC hybrid. www.plantdelights.com

Brooks

Back