What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I suppose most peoples Sarracenias are flowering about now. But not me! Since I grow mine outside in Missouri, they take a little while to finally get into gear for the year. My tallest stalks are only around 4" so far, and many are just breaking out of the rhizome. I was planning on doing a bunch of crosses this year, since I've never attempted it before. I just don't know exactly what I'm going to cross with what! Certainly, some of the flowers are going to open at least a few weeks before the others. Anyway, here's what's going to be blooming, barring a catastrophe: flava cuprea, flava rubricorpora, rubra gulf x mitchelliana, oreophila, 'Extreme Unction', x readii, rubra, rubra gulf x moorei, minor x rubra rubra, x mitchelliana, x popei (actually have 2 coming up from this one), x catesbaei (2 very different forms), rubra alab x (psittacina x rubra alab), rubra gulf x (x catesbaei x flava), plus several unknowns.
Any tips on when the stigmas are most receptive? or what crosses could produce the best results? I do want to cross the x readii with the x popei, since they are both very striking plants in terms of color, other than that I just don't know yet. Thanks.

The stigmas are usually receptive 2-3 days after the flower opens. If you want to cross one plant with a plant whos flower hasn't opened yet, you can store the pollen in the fridge for a few weeks. For best results, pollinate the flower every day until the flower drops its petals. The more times you pollinate, the more seed you will get. Each pollen grain fertilizes 1 seed.
If you are just starting into hybridising, I would advise starting simple. Its very easy to get carried away! This year I am going to re-create the simple hybrids, starting with my favourite, x Popei but instead of using the typical Flava and Rubra, I am going to use Rubra ssp Gulfensis and either Flava var Rugelii or Flava cv Maxima. Hopefully, this will produce a Striking stocky pitchered popei! If all goes to plan, I will try new hybrids next year using the variants and subspecies instead of the typical forms!

I would say you should cross your oreophila with something that has good colour. Everything I have read about oreos indicates that when used in hybrids they add colour, size and cold tolerance.

Pyro

I sort of got lost when reading your list, because I'm not familiar with all the hybrids, but one I saw in " The Savage Garden" was a cross between S. minor, and S. leucophylla. I really think it looked neat... It's lid was the size of leuc's but the shape of minor's. Where there wasnt deep red outlining, there were fenestrations... Oooh, I really liked it, I think it would make an excellent bug catcher! Leucophylla colouring, minor's nectar and window techniques... Its almost guaranteed to eat loads and loads!!!

I saw a flava rubricorpora in person, WOW that is a sweet looking plant.  The color and shape was excellent.

Parasuco, I believe that was the S. x excellens.  I will be getting one of those soon, can't wait
smile.gif

Parasuco - yes, you're talking about S. x excellens! It does look like a really good plant.

I'm new to growing Sarracenia and of the three I've got, 'Evendine' is quickly growing a flower stalk now. The other two don't seem to be doing much at all though and I've had them for three weeks. My leucophylla has grown a tiny, bright red leaf which I think is a phyllodia (is that right?) It has two small skinny pitchers that look too old to be this year's spring ones and too floppy to be last years summer ones.
My other one (S. x farnhamii) has last summers pitchers but hasn't grown at all since.

Definitely try some oreophila crosses. I would recommend crossing it with flava cuprea and rubricorpora, that would make a nice plant, especially the latter.
smile.gif

Back