What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Photos

Follow the link below if you'd like to peruse photos I took of my Sarracenia's last summer. There are a lot of unknown hybrids, so if anyone likes trying to figure them out, you should have fun here. I just joined this awesome forum and am a self-designated Sarracenia freak. I don't even care about any other CP's. anyway, here's the link:
<a href="http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?m=36847373303&n=861652235

It" target="_blank">http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?m=36847373303&n=861652235

It</a> should all be one line, for those that know even less about computers than I do, of which I doubt there is anyone left in the developed world.

I dig your pictures!!!

They are great. The Praying Mantis is awesome!!

Very good job
smile.gif

Hi Sarracenia, I'm a Sarracenia freak too! What species/varieties/forms do you grow???

Very nice pictures. I am also a large Sarracenia fan. Although Nepenthes are my favorite Sarracenia is a VERY close second. But can you beat my monstorous beast S.Purpurea spp. Purpurea?
7915469-cdac-01600120-.jpg

And this beautiful pitcher.
7917265-5f14-01600120-.jpg

What do you think?

But the pitcher's are a puny small size! At least mine are large enough to put all of my fingers in 1 pitcher! I have one out in the bog that you can fit your fingers and part of a hand in! NO JOKING! I am serious! If I can get a picture when the snow melts and before the pitcher rots away I will!

I forgot to mention you need to give yours more sun RICHARD! Mine are a beautiful robust maroon red! Beat the color in mine!
smile.gif
Beat the color and size if it applies!

Don't be decieved by this puppy! I once had to pull my next door neighbor free from one of the pitchers, honest!!
smile.gif

The colour of the pitchers are there proper colour. they recieve direct sunlight. Some purps just dont go red!

My Growlist:
Species:
S. leucophylla - 2 forms
S. minor
S. purpurea
S. flava - a lightly veined form and a throat-splotch form
S. psittacina
S. rubra alabamensis (I think, it might be a hybrid)
S. rubra
confused.gif
- have a few that are S. rubra, but I'm not
sure which subsp.

Hybrids:
S. (oreophila x minor) x [(purpurea x rubra) x leucophylla]
S. leucophylla x minor
S. leucophylla x purpurea - 3 forms
S. oreophila x psittacina
S. (rubra x oreophila) x flava
S. (rubra x oreophila) x purpurea
S. purpurea x flava - several different forms
S. minor x psittacina
S. (leucophylla x psittacina) x leucophylla
S. leucophylla x rubra - a couple different forms
S. alata x flava
S. rubra x (flava x leucophylla)
S. oreophila x willisii
S. rubra alab. x (psittacina x rubra alab.)
S. leucophylla x psittacina
S. leucophylla"green" x rubra jonesii"green"
S. leucophylla x (psittacina x rubra)
S. psittacina"green" x rubra jonesii"green"
S. oreophila"green" x leucophylla"white"
S. flava x psittacina
-And many unknowns

Cultivars:
S. 'Dixie Lace'
S. 'Ladies In Waiting'
S. 'Judith Hindle'
S. 'Mardi Gras'

(Edited by sarracenia at 4:28 pm on Feb. 18, 2002)

since when dide this become a contest to see who could grow the biggest prettiest plant?

I think down at post 5. :cheesy: Aww....we're just debating Ram! That is what one of the reasons this board is here to have fun and deabte over what is right and/or voice your opinion. I never thought of it as a contest about biggest colorful pitcher plant just as a dissucion. RICHARD UK. You give it full sun and it just gets red veining. Strange in a way. I have only a few that do that. Most of mine are pure blood red as in my photos above.

The pitchers are green with veining fir there first year then they turn red/purple over winter into there second year. usually though, by the second year they are a bit tatty so I trim them off. My plants grow out doors and get attacked a lot by birds and my Alsatian!

I am not saying to stop, it is actually amusing... compared to my plants, both of yours are giants.. since mine are all yearlings ya know?

OK RICHARD I see now. Soo in that picture they are fairly new pitchers right? Ram, Thank You for the complment on my Purpurea and other Sarracenia. I'll try to get a picture of me beside the pot this summer to show you guys just how large this potted plant is! It is seriously pretty large in it's pot.

I am really falling in love with Purpurea, they are perfectly suited for my climate and are doing great. My yearlings are starting to show some real size with the care I've been giving them. I build a micro-bog that site in my windowsill, it's an adorable collection of you impending doom. It has 2 purpurea's a VFT, and I just planted some Drosera seed we'll see if it comes up. I'ld like to get my hands on some Drosera Scorpiodes for it, and another Drosera Filiformous Tracii, cause the one in there died in dormancy:sad:. It's nice though, my fairy moss is starting to go terran instead of aquatic form and spread across the soil, beautiful ground cover that turns red in direct sun.

Back