What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia oreophila

NickHubbell

It’s a trap!
Hello,

I have been searching for information on Sarracenia oreophila and have found some of the information I need.

However, I am minus the care instructions for when the plant is dormant.

1. How wet should the soil mixture be while dormant and can it dry out somewhat between waterings?

My understanding is that the plant goes dormant during the dry summer months and returns to active growth during the spring and early summer months.

2. Can I use the water tray method for this plant year round or only during the active growing season?

I have read that keeping it in standing water will rot the plant's roots.

3. What temperatures should the plant be kept at while dormant?

I understand that it can be kept as low as 10°F.

Thanks,

Nick

Nick, this is just another Sarracenia relax! Er...a fedrally endangered Sarracenia.
wink.gif
Anyhow, my Oreophila has started to put out phyllodia right now and I gorw it on the tray method. From what I hear it doesn't matter how wet you keep it, as it will still makes early phyllodia. Also it can be kept as low as 0*F er can go that low without anyharm, you must remeber this is a very high altitudal Sarracenia and is quite hardy. Also on watering yeah I have let it dry slightly between waterings with NO HARM. But wayter it as you would any Sarracenia. Also mines in a Peat/Sand mix if that helps or you were wondering what to plant it in ect.
smile.gif

Thanks for the help. Mine is in a sand/peat mix and has a layer of moss growing on the surface. The last of the pitchers finally dried up and will be cut off.

I just wasn't finding the information I needed on the plant. Well, at least not enough to satisfy me.

Thanks,

Nick

You can grow oreophila as you would any other Sarracenia.

I find that this Sarr is a lot more prone to rot than other Sarrs. I have already had 2 battles with the scourge Botrytis and the last one ended up eating my main rhizome and only leaving a tiny side shoot. I have gone to a pure LF sphag media and I keep my plant a little drier now. I also keep it off the tray. Just my experience though

Scrooge Pyro.
smile.gif
Mold on this Sarracenia, great I get one and mold may be an issue throughout it's life nice!
tounge.gif
Anyhow what were the mold problems in Pyro? Peat/Sand mixes?

The one in the pot that had all the problems was in 1:1 peat:sand. I do have a small plant growing ing 1:1:1 peat:sand:LF sphag but it is in an undrained tub and I let the soil get a littl dry before watering, so I don't know if it is the media or the watering that makes the difference there. I planted my remaining sprig in pure LF because that has anti-fungal properties, sepecially against Botrytis

I see Pyro. Well luckily mine hasn't had Botrytis attack it yet. Phew!

Greg, ok your right....I think.....

Hey everybody post a picture of your oreo's I am curious to see what everyone elses looks like. I wish I had a digital camera so I could post a pic of mine.
biggrin.gif

John

Mine is currently dormant. Just has its phyllodia.

SoreophilaPhyllodia.jpg

I wish I had a WEBSITE to post my pictures.
sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif

S. oreophila is very prone to fungal attacks. In addition to pyros good advice I add that you should do good housekeeping with this species, carefully removing any dead matter from the rhizome. If you have access to a fungicide, treat the rhizome when you put it into dormancy storage.

I grow mine in paet and sand (more on the peaty side) and water ist less during winter (like all other Sarracenia sp.) and during summer months.
S. oreophylla stands in the same tray with other sarracenia but I placed the pot about 3cm higher than the other pots.
I never had problems with funghi.

It makes phyllodia during summer and winter.

Martin

Sarracenia oreophila :
sarr_or01.jpg

I thought oreophila didn't have the frontal nectar spout?

Hi Alvin,

seems that you are right (I just had<a look at some pictures on the web)
I didn't notice it for years :-((

Do you think it is a hybrid ?

Martin

arghhhhhhh.... ! #%&-!$ß

For my eyes Martin's plant does match the S. oreophila on page 156 of D. Schnell's new book very well.

Joachim

Back