What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can someone identify this form of S. purpurea?

NickHubbell

It’s a trap!
Hello,

I am looking for identification of the variety of Sarracenia purpurea in the following photo:

SpurpureaRedForm.jpg

[Edit 10/1/2002 11
wow.gif
0 PM] Can someone change the topic name to: "Can someone identify this form of S. purpurea?"

Thanks,

Nick

I'm not a sarracenia expert,but maybe sarracenia purpea ssp purpea (i don't know if thats a real plant, but i think ive heard of it... what does ssp stand for anyway?&#33
wink.gif

Hi Nick,
If that was the plant you found on your travels, then that is S. purpurea ssp. purpurea. The ssp. stands for 'subspecies'

My sarracenia looks like that except it's not that purple.Mine is an Saracenia purpurea x flava so that is most likely what it is.
smile.gif

I was just stunned by the coloration of this plant. It was a wondrous site to see. My wife even fell in love with them. ( she hates plants ).

Thanks,

Nick

yea, its ssp purpurea, i think that ssp.burkii/s. rosea is so dark u can't really see the veination...

Where did you take the photo? Geography?
imduff

In Wayne County, Ohio, within the Western Allegheny Plateau Ecoregion.

As the others have mentioned, this is definately purp ssp. purp. Geography alone confirms this. Follow this site at different times of the year. You will notice some interesting changes that these plants make. Although some might question the ethics of such a practice, I've known people that have "helped" the plants by spreading the seed around the site. In a few years a site with a hundred plants can become a thousand.

imduff

Back