What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Making more sarracenias

A friend of mine and I divided some sarracenias last week by removing the old section of the rhizome from the back of the plants. We further divided those sections into smaller sections of about 2" in length. I know it was not the proper time to do this. Any suggestions as how to treat these so as to get the best results; root stimulator, vit B-12, etc...Thanks in advance for your help.

Hey Sarob,
Speaking of the "correct time to do this," when is that exactly? I know it should be in dormancy, but should it be at the beginning of dormancy, or right before they come out of dormancy? Does it matter?
confused.gif
I ask because three out of four of my sars that I got from PFT THIS YEAR already have two or three "growth points" on their rhizomes. I would like to divide them this winter.

Schloaty,
Isn't it normally right before the growing season starts? I would think that it's the same as dividing VFT's, right?

During dormancy is supposed to be the "time to do it", but I've heard from several people who've done it during the growing season, without any negative effects.

Hey Guys, I would say providing humidity, a douse of cleary's 3336, or banrot (for fungal protection) and some superthrive would do the trick. I have heard of some plants having problems with rooting hormonse so I would avoid those unless you know it will work, someone else has experience and says to do it, or well, you get the idea.

I know some people will cut notches into their rhisomes, this causes the rhisome to branch, as a plant will do unattended in the wild. Then you can cut the notches off, plant and all. I have never done this, only read about it. I tried cutting notches in my lucy last year, and it just ignored me.

I would assume that to correct time would be during dormancy; either early in the fall so as to still get root growth or just before the break of dormancy. I had no choice this time.
RamPuppy,
I have got the humidty! I live in sarracenia country and we have 85% everyday from now until Oct. if not greater. They are in full sun with the top of the rhizome exposed, the roots buried and the dead leaf bases removed to expose the dormant 'eyes' to light. I am treating these like bearded iris. There are in 100% peat and constantly moist but not soaking. I will give them the super thrive. At what dosage though? Full strength? Any thoughts on a source for BanRot?

Hehe, i'm sure he does know where to get Banrot.
biggrin.gif
PFT sells it.

I've split sarras before dormancy, during dormancy, after dormancy, during growth, during flowering, you name a time and i've split em. Never had any real problems and I dont use any fungicides growth promoters etc. Just keep em wet in a tray of water and keep shaded for 2-3 weeks. We might read the books but the plants dont!

G

THANKS YALL! Here is the update: several of the rhizome divisions are beginning to show new tiny pitchers already. It has been only a month. I did use a root stimulator. (superthrive type solution) They were potted up in a mix of pearlite, sand, peat moss and, shredded sphagnum moss. The rhizomes were stripped of all old pitchers where they were connected exposing the dormant buds. The saucer method was used and they were placed in the full sun. As G said, we read the books, they don't. I was also told by a expert grower that if I wanted large plants to put the rhizomes vertical in the medium and if I wanted more plants to lay it flat. All the energy will go into the upper most dormant bud and thereby producing one large plant instead of many smaller ones. I will let them get larger and more photographable and then share pics.

I've never used fungicides either. I just split them, pot them and that's it.

I always transplant when the plant is at it's growing peak, no matter which genera or species. This works well for me. I think with a little care transplant time isn't really a great issue.

Back