What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Potting Mix of Sarracenia Purpurea

will sarracenia purpurea do good in the peat moss walmart or homedepot sell, mix with perlite.

also do i got to fill the pitchers up with water? what kind and how much?

Yep, will do fine in those mixes. Fill the pitchers up about halfway with CP water.

ding ding ding, you win!

smile.gif

yes, you fill it up with cp water, other known as, rain or distiled or ro

it dosnt matter, but the brand of peat moss and perlite i use is Schultz candian sphagnum peat moss, and perlite

they are a cool brand and im having alot of success with that peat moss, i like the brand alot, and for lfs and orchid bark i use better gro

wal mart has the schultz stuff

not sure about home depot

ok how can pitcher plants digest food with just water in there. i thought they make the own liquid of acids and enyzmes.

Those are only the Trumpet variety's of Sarracenia. The only one that utilizes water and it's own enzymes (that are produced when water is present) is S.Purpurea.

(Edited by nepenthes gracilis at 2:23 pm on May 19, 2002)

so basically sarracenia purpurea will turn water into enzyme bath then.

Hi Joe, Hi Nep G,
With Sarracenia purpurea, digestion is by enzymes AND bacterial break down by bacterial living in the liquid. The plants do not turn the water into enzymes, but rather releases them into the water during the active life of the pitcher. Bacteria play a large part in the digestion, hence the smelly mix if you ever had emptied a pitcher out.

With your compost mix, use the peat to perlite 3:1 ratio.

so everything of the bug gets digested

well except the exo skeleton

That's basically what I said Mike.
smile.gif
I said it simply utilizes rain water and turns it into an enzyme bath by releasing it's own weak enzymes. I assumed just about every CPer knows that and that bactrial decay plays a big part in S.purpurea.

Hi Nep G,
Of course, I too would expect most experienced CP growers like yourself to know that bacteria do play a major part of insect digestion, but for the benefit of new members and beginners who may not know,it is always worth mentioning the facts so we can pass on our knowledge.

Make sure you don't use the Miracle Grow Peat moss or Perlite, unless you want fertilized ans soon dead CP! It's commonly sold everywhere nowadays!
Joe

Back