What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how many purple pitcher plants are there

tuyen thi

BANNED
What types of purple pitcher plants are there and what type does PFT carry ?

Ok , but what types do PFT carry ?

There are 3 major types of S.Purpurea

S.Purpurea spp. Purpurea
S.Purpurea spp. Venosa
S.Purpurea spp. Venosa var. Burkeii (AKA S.Burkeii)

PFT carries S.Purpurea spp. Venosa

sarracenia purpurea ssp purpurea
" " " f. heterophylla
" " " var riplicola (reverts back to normal in acid soil conditions)

Sarracenia purpurea ssp venosa
" " " var Burkii
" " " var montana
" " " var Luteola

Whoops! Hehehe.
smile.gif
Richard to the rescue. :cheesy:

And to add to that, don't forget S.purpurea subsp. purpurea f. stolonifera (1m+ multibranching rhizome form).

Does anyone keep the var. montana variety of venosa?

And Sarracenia purpurea spp. venosa ssp. vertetingo. Var. biophilmus x S. ssp. fschnizenhower

Take that all you nomenclature freaks!!!
:wink:

is chipola a var or just a location?

Hey you all forgot he cultivar S.Purpurea "Red Ruffles". Ha! Beat you there! :cheesy: Mike, S.Purpurea spp. Venosa var. Montana/ AKA S.Purpurea Montana, isn't availabel to ANYONE yet not even D'Amato or the CP "leaders" "regulators" etc. It is HEAVILY protected in it's mountainous habitat in the southern Appalachian mountains.

I don't think red ruffles has been registered yet. I was reading something about D'amatos book and he said that the named plants with " " were un registered plants of his own naming and plants with ' ' were official cultivars. But knowing me I probably got this completly back to front!!!
smile.gif

Yup! maybe I should have rre checked the book before posting! the plant is labeled with a ' ' so it is an official cultivar!

Actualy NG I know that at least one person on the listsv has S.Purpurea spp. Venosa var. Montana.

lets all go to his house, jump him, and divde the rhiozome up between ourselves. (I get the biggest piece... cause I am the biggest! (and it was my idea!))

LOL

*Note - This was a joke, only a joke. We here at petflytrap do not condone the bringing of physical violence upon a person for any reason... (Well, almost any reason, sometimes, you just HAVE a good reason. Ya know?)

Just wanted to clarify that, so.. you know.. no one would get the wrong idea or anything.

(pssst... I'll meet you guys in his driveway around 2:30 AM.)

Hi,
Just to answer Garden of Eden's question, Steve, the Chipola form is named after the river valley where the plant comes from in NW Florida, it produces almost white (extremely light pink) flowers..

I also know a grower with S. montana and I have confirmed reports that ABG has a few clones of it as well.

And no I will not go to ABG and break in to steal some (now if I could get their N. lowii and S. leuco 'Tarnok' you might talk me into it.
smile.gif
)

Pyro

I'll bring the coniine from Sarracenia Flava to knock him out..........and a gas mask for backup.......hehehe. Ohh hey how y'all doing! I just wanted to say that we need to get S. Montana in TC so all of us can have one without acts of jealousy,envy,etc. And that way we can obtain it with money and not going to someone's house at 2:30 AM with coniine and gas masks and a rhizome cutting tool (AKA knife) to get it.

smile.gif

Back