What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mature plant already?

i got a judith hindle from this site around august. theres one pitcher that has red veins all over it, unlike the other ones. could it be maturing already? it looks like the top part of the pitcher is dark pink from far away. its not fully developed yet, so im not so sure. if it is maturing, would the new pitchers be like that also? because the plant has multiple crowns/growing points, and im guessing that they are at different stages of maturity. thanks! ill try to get a pic when my cam gets fixed

my mature sarracenias alwas get green pitchers but if they get enough sunlight before the pitcher hardens it gets its color. maybe the plants at petflytrap are shadded because its so hot in the summer but when you bought it you put it in enough sun for the new pitchers to get their coloring. hope I could help
           Spectabilis73
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif
smile.gif

Even younger plants, when exposed to good light, will develop their full color. It doesn't necessarily mean they're mature. Pitcher size is one indicator, as well as flowering in the spring. I'm not exactly sure what the max size for Judith is. Probably around 18-20 inches tall I would guess.

The Judith Hindles are shaded at the moment, so they will arrive green. With plenty of light every pitcher should turn red.
Age of Sarracenia is usually indicated by the pitcher size, size of rhizome and whether it has flowered or not.

Back