What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia  x  'willisii' on ebay

Yeah I have seen that auction I was going to pm it to you yesterday, since you were wondering how a S. Willisii looks since you think you have a mix with a oreo I believe. I saw that post in this topic which you had your pic's and you thought it was a mix between a willisii.
wink.gif
Well are you going to make a bid. And yes this is a real S. Willisii. Hope you make a bid.
biggrin.gif

The eBay entry states: "The parentage of this plant is really still a matter of debate, but characteristics of S.Leucophylla and S.Purpurea are obvious."

That in itself presents a problem since the CP Database states that the parents of Sarracenia x willisii {Hort.Veitch ex ?Gordon} are [((purpurea x psittacina) x (purpurea x flava)) x purpurea].

There is no leucophylla in x willisii, although the plant shown on eBay clearly has a strong leucophylla influence.

So, Phil traper2, upon what basis do you conclude "And yes this is a real S. Willisii"?

I'm a sucker for asking questions to people on E-bay and seeing if they can answer it. (Hey, it;s good practice for them&#33
wink.gif
besides, it is a very attractive plant, and I might buy the next one up for auction. (no worries Sarracenia, I won't compete with a friend&#33
wink.gif

anyhow, armed with BobZ's info, and they sellers own words, this is what I wrote:

Hi, don't want to come off rude but I have a few questions!

Sarracenia X Willissii's parentage is purpurea x psittacina) x (purpurea x flava)) x purpurea]..

You stated that the parentage of this clone is still in debate, yet the ICPS clearly describes it.

This plant by your own description shows traits of leucophylla, and I am wondering how you can be sure that you are truly selling such a desirebale and wanted cultivar?

Thanks, eagerly awaiting your reply! (Nice plants by the way. Oh, and I am an employee of petflytrap.com (I admin their boards) but what they don't sell, I buy elsewhere to 'feed the need' so no worries about that please&#33
wink.gif

lets see what happens! I will post the reply.

The sellers reply!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yikes I will have to adjust my description, these are leucophylla X willissii. I am sorry that I blew the description, it was a misunderstanding I had with my source for these. I just spoke with them and cleared this up, I will fix the description page, but these are s.leucophylla X willissii. We hadn't carried these before, or seen them. Again my apologies.
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

That's kind of what I was thinking. They look about identical to the leuco "red" sold here. Thanks for going through with that.

I was instrumental in putting that plant into TC. It is a cross from leucophylla x willisii and also called "Dana's Delight." It is truly a beautiful plant.

Kim

Kim, you should e-mail that seller and let them know that they have a cultivar. (is that a registered name?)

Interesting....Ram, if S leucophylla x willisii is 'Dana's delight,' will PFT change th name of Leuco red in the sales section to the cultivar name?

icon9.gif

Back