What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

will this work

I have a pitcher plant purpurpea and it is in a window that is very old and lets alot of cold air in so much that the pot feels rather cold to the touch will this put my plant into dormancy?

Chinski,

Possibly. There are a lot of factor here that need to be considered when you deal with dormancy.

First, where are you located? Cool air coming through a window is relative, is it Florida cool or Minnesota cool? You probably want a drop down to about 10 deg C (~50 F) during dormancy.

About you pot, is it plastic or clay? Clay will feel cool most of the time due to it's conductivity (and evaporation if it unglazed) so the feel of the pot isn't always a good indicator.

If you check out the Announcments section you will find a very comprehensive guide to dormancy written up by forum member RamPuppy. This should give you the information you need.

Another thing to consider is that it is approaching a new growing season so you probably don't want to start pushing your plant into dormancy only to have to abort it in a month. My recommendation would be to grow the plant normally for now and not worry about dormancy till next year.

Pyro

Bring the plant into warm conditions. Purpurea can take coll conditions esp. S.Purpurea spp. Purpurea. Do you know what species it is other than just plain Purpurea? It could be Burkeii or Venosa or Purpurea or the Purpurea cultivar "Red Ruffles"

I'm with pyro here. Grow it normally this year and put it into dormancy a month early this winter. I doubt it went into any dormancy in a windowsill. Even though the window may be cool, it's not really cold like winter would be, it's got indoor heating behind it and so your plant if anything probably was just a bit shocked but not dormant. You may very likely have reduced growth this year, so just treat it good and hope for the best.

Back