What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

just arrived- judith hindle

the judith hindle that i ordered last weekjust arrived today!! i wanted to keep it outside, since it is very humid and sunny(patio can get VERY hot with a LOT of direct sun) so i decided to keep it inside. i have a light fixture above it, but im concerned with the humidity. should i find a cover for it? im thinking of a clear plastic/glass cover for it. shaped like a giant cup. anyone know what and where i would get it? thanks. heres a link to the pic:

http://community.webshots.com/scripts....=dWhadj

and

http://community.webshots.com/scripts....=bGPbLv

thanks!

also, i kinda shoved a cricket down the pitcher...just enough so that it fits right in it.. it was about an inch long, and the pitcher was about a 1/4 inch wide at the top. would that kill the pitcher? cus i think its too small to digest a cricket that big

In Houston,

Humidity isn't an issue
smile.gif

I would keep it outdoors if you wanted to. Just not in direct lighting.

I would give it some shade and partial light ( that is what I do for the ones I have growing out of the greenhouse.)

High humidity for Sarracenia will cause them to mold ( IMO ). Humidity should be around 50-60%. I think we are running high 60's in Houston now...and with all the afternoon showers, it can only get higher
smile.gif
( thank goodness I have short hair
wink.gif
)

If you leave it indoors, I would place it by a window that gets good lighting. It is hard to get light right for a Sarracenia indoors ( from my trials ). If you use extra light, try to mist it so the top doesn't dry out. It might help. And that will help with the humidity ( since it is indoors ).

-----

I am always tossing Mosquitoes in the pitchers when they come after me. I have some plants that are stuffed with bees, wasps and whatever else comes for foos
smile.gif
. I wouldn't worry about the cricket.

Remember also, the plant doesn't need to eat to be healthy. Also, pitcher plants aren't like VFT's. They are pigs and will catch plenty on their own.

Hope this helps!!!

Only pigs jaie? I'd say more like gluttonous hogs!!
smile.gif
My leucophylla pitcher is jsut about full of ants,bees,flies,tiny little jewel bees,and who knows what else!
wow.gif

Hi Venus Fly Trapper.
I thought it was difficult to give Sarracenia too much sun. If you leave it outside it shoukd turn a bright red colour, although do it gradually so it becomes aclimatised. I would say it was virtually impossible to grow sarras inside. I also thought the higher the humidity the better (sorry for contradicting you Jaie
confused.gif
)

well i would grow it outside if i could....but my patio gets direct sun all day and even if i put a tray of water under the pot, it would dry out completely in a few hours. the pot gets really hot too. there is barely any shade anywhere in the yard either. and finally, since the water evaporates so quickly, i would have to go out and get distilled water all the time...and i dont it is worth it to buy a r/o system for just two plants... and jeff also said mold could be a problem too..anyone have a suggestion on what to do?

Hi Venus flytrapper,
I am sure you have air conditioning where you live, some people are able to collect the water from it and that is as good as distilled water. Personally I would NOT grow inside, because of...air conditioning. Water eveporation will be a problem, but what are the chances of collecting rain water where you live?

Maybe you could get quite a large tray and fill that with water. Then get some polythene with a hole cut in the middle and then attach that to the tray, with the plant pot going in the hole. Just an idea that might stop the rapid evaporation.

I got my Judith Hindles two weeks ago and put them on my porch rail the next day (it was slightly overcast) with the rest of my pitcher plants and VFTs. They are doing fine and the veins in the pitchers are getting darker with a couple of new pitchers starting up on both plants. They share a water tray with 4 VFTs in 3" pots. No covering at all.

The Sarracenia have been in a greenhouse and has been getting light less 60% ( the shade cloth
smile.gif
)

Mist them with distilled water ( or the other source that Mike mentioned. )

-----

Contradict away
smile.gif

That is what we are all here for. No harm ( unless he listens to you and not me
smile.gif
)

-----

I would opt for a big saucer. Just make sure that the water doesn't go above the root/crown. You could rot the plant ( water table ).

Erg I grow my S.minor outside with no tray. I just have a pile of LFS on my pot and I water it 2-3 times week. It gets a little shade for most of the day though. It seems to love it.

i put it outside yesterday afternoon when it rained, since there is high humidity. it wasnt too bright the rest of the day, so i just left it out until this morning. i heard of vfts collapsing because of the rapid humidity change. thats what im afraid of if i take it back inside. but would it get sunburned if i leave it out? i need an answer quickly...because in about an hour, its gonna get realllllly bright and hot. thanks

With my plants I place them outside for the summer and bring them in in the winter and there great looking. (except for old pitchers that are dying) If you give them morning sun when it is not as hot they ought to be fine. (but then again I live in the moutains of North Carolina).
biggrin.gif

Back