What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sarr. dormancy

hey all what is a good temp. to put my sarr. into for a the winter. to hot outside so have to put them to sleep in the refrig. any ideas???

Well, if you put it in fridge, it will have to be at the same temp. as the fridge is already at or your food will freeze or it will be to warm and rot. So the temp. should be alright. If someone says other wise listen to them and not me. That is just what I think.
Wesley

The correct temp would be about for a minimum 40-45 degrees and Max of 50-55, maybe even 60, but not for long.
I have had succses with sarr. dormancy in these ranges.
Good luck
tounge.gif

Cole

The only temperate CP's that can be very cold are S.Purpurea subsp. Purpurea,D.Rotundifolia,D.Intermedia from temperate climated,D.Anglica,D.Linearis,and the natural drosera hybrids between those, also S.Purpurea subsp.Purpurea f. Heterophylla is also the same temperature requirments as the typical form, but those I mentioned above can go to a max of -25F. But for the southeaster CP collection I wouldn't go below -15 for the max. But keep them in the range of 30F and up to 40 would be ideal. These are quite hardy palnts as a long as they are treated like hardy plants and not fussed over too much they will make the winter.
smile.gif
So give them a chilly dormant period. Ideally 30-40F

This works for me too: my plants experience slight freezes with no harm. Same for Dionaea, a light freeze for not too long is fine.

Yeah, Sarracenia are hardier than you think. I have mine in pots that sometimes freeze solid, with no harm. The trick is to minimize any freezes that do happen. I move mine into the garage if it gets too cold. I just hope for a mild winter again, because it's a bit painstaking to move them back and forth.

Any temp in the fridge should work fine for them, if it's too warm during your winter (Where are you located?). Just watch out for the spots in your fridge that do freeze. If you have a suitable spot in mind, test it with anything that can freeze and leave it in there for a week or so, to see if it does freeze.

Back