What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

fungus?

unknownclown

BoooOOOOooooo!!!!!
hello
smile.gif
I have a friend that is growing baby sarrs and wanted to know if the white stuff at the growing point of 2 of the plants is fungus?
8386808-15b6-028001E0-.jpg

all I can say is, that My baby sars didn't have that...

Have no fear!
The white threads are adventitious roots. the seedlings first roots designed for grabbing moisture. This usually doesnt happen if you lightly sprinkle the seeds with moss/compost as the seeds are able to get a grip into the soil more quickly.

Cool thanks Richard UK Im sure tras......my friend
smile.gif
will be happy to hear that
smile.gif

Yay! I'm not anonymous just lazy... :biggrin:

Pat

Hi guys,

They are not adventitious roots, they are root hairs, and yes they are for absorbing moisture. Almost all plants produce them (one exception is Orchids) and they help the plant by providing a larger surface are for absorbtion. In some cases fungi live in or around the root hairs providing more moisture and some nutrients in a symbiotic relationship with the. However this is not the case with Sarracenia.

Adventitious roots are roots that appear after a plant has been wounded or severed. These are the roots that allow us to take cuttings of our favourite plants.

Cheers,

Chris.

Cool, I just learned something. Thanks guys.

I wounded a plant in my living room, and stuck a toothpick in there, and smeared rooting/fugicidal gel on there... Will that grow those adventitious roots, and can i cut off just the roots as root cuttings???

Are those all sarrs? Like all the green things? What kind?

You could probably use the portion of the plant above the break as a cutting although I suggest uou remove the toothpick from the wound and replace it with some sphagnum or peat, then wrap it with some transparent plastic and seal it at both ends after moistening the filler. As to whether or not u can use the resulting roots as root cuttings that depends on what type of plant you are talking about?

Hope this works,
Chris.

Back