What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GUESS WHAT!!!...

Hey man, no offense. I have the bad habit of taking everything a little too personally so fault lies on me.

As for my very meek post, when I said I was just gonna shut up I was trying to humorous. Again, failure of context, my bad.

So just so every one is clear, I didn't feel attacked
smile.gif

BIG HUGS ALL AROUND.

Now I'm off to go splat some bacteria

Pyro

My 2-cents...

Lowes sucks at caring for their plants (mainly their houseplants). There are always racks and racks of dead/dying plants. Everybody's has seen that. I hunted down a manager once to show him a palm COVERED in scale insects (it was gross)...which they had *out for sale* for some poor, pest-ignorant customer to buy and take home and infect all their other plants. I mean, a few scale I can see being missed...but to be so plant-ignorant you can't see HUNDREDS of scale covering the entire plant? Lowes is just very careless with their plants. But that's not to say you can't find decent stuff there sometimes or shouldn't buy it if you do.

I do buy IF I find something I really want and the price is good and the plant looks healthy. I, like most people here, have rescued dying CPs because they never care for those propertly. And if I run across a CP locally that I want...of course I will buy it.

But if I were going to ORDER a plant...if Phil and Jeff have it in stock, I will order from them as you can count on good healthy plants and great customer service which is what drives a successful business.

BTW...my S. purpurea has 5 new pitchers and the old ones wintered beautifully and are a deep maroon color. They often have gnats and other small bugs in the pitchers and I once watched a fly walk down the hairs...never to be seen again. :)

Suzanne

My 1-cent,

Lowe's and Home Depot may not take good care of CPs, but you will. If the plants have arrived recently from their nursery, or aren't completely dead yet, they are probably just fine. I have twice opted for instant gratification and bought a Darlingtonia Californica and a Drosera Capensis from Home Depot. The Darlingtonia isn't doing well - but that's my fault - and the Drosera is doing wonderfully. You may not be guaranteed quality like you'll receive at Exotic Gardens, but you'll learn a lot about what to do if a plant does start to decline.

I like to think of it as getting a dog from the pound, instead of a breeder.
wink.gif

BTW, I got my Superthrive at Lowes, but that may be because I live right next to N. Hollywood, where they make Superthrive. I haven't seen any CPS there, but have seen VFT, 2 types of Drosera, and Darlingtonia at Home Depot.

Hehehehehehe! I just recieved some plants from PFT. I'm drooling as I write this message bcs I got a N. Merriliana with two, count em!, two growing points (I've never seen a plant in lowes with two growing points) and it looks great. Heliamphora isn't too happy from it's trip but I think with a little fertilizer and some TLC it will be great (It's got two growing points as well!).

The worst thing about lowes (pointed out by Plantakiss) is that they don't know how to care for plants, much less CP's. The only way to get a good plant from them is to grab it off the delivery truck so it doesn't get into the black-thumbed hands of lowes employees.

Ok ppl, I'm begging at this point. Stop posting messages here and get on with helping others. I'm serious when I say I'm not posting any more on this subject (author's note: that last sentence is a dirty, rotten lie.) Laterz! :biggrin:

Yep, I agree. Lowse does not take good care of the plants. I guess I should have said that I like the company Lowse uses, but not Lowse itself. And I probably would rather order off a website. Just to let you know, I got a nice venus flytrap a couple of weeks ago with large traps, with great coloration, and it grows pretty fast. But, of course, it had just come in. The talk of the quality of plants is slightly different than the previous topic( a spin off, if you will). And you can asure that the one Lowse store out there that is owned by my mother, will get the training they need to properly take care of carnivorous plants, from yours truly. No more deaths!

Back