What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sarracina seed

• Thread starter jodajo21
  • Start date
i planted some leukophylla seed 2 days ago and they are starting to mold even with fungicide,ive heard that this is not a problem but i would like to double check this.any help on this issue would be very appreciated.

thanks,

Joel

Fungal growth on your seeds usually means the end. They probably won't germinate. I'd give them a month or 2 then toss them, if nothing happens. The seed could be old or sometimes there is fungal growth on the seeds while still in the pod. Don't give up, if you don't get germination. Sarracenia from seed to maturity is exciting.

Stefan

I had the same problem. I used my finger to gently scrape away what I could, but that wasn't much. I think I've had a 25% germination rate in spite mold.

this mold is not on the soil just the seed strangely enough. the seed sticks out as a little grey and white spot. i sprayed it with orthanex again i am hoping that will cure my problem if the mold is actually a problem at all. these things grow just a little north of me they have got ot have the same thing in the wild.
confused.gif
ive got my fingures crossed,and i am cnsidering fasting wrending my cloths and begging God to spare their little lives since i traded them for three nepenthes cuttings.iv got back ups so i dont think i am going to do that yet.
wink.gif

wink.gif

wink.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

cheers
wink.gif

biggrin.gif
Joel
biggrin.gif

wink.gif

What have you sowed the seed on? Pure sphagnum moss will cut down on the mold threat and also make your seedlings grow about a third faster.

I have them planted on pure sphagnum peat, i used those jiffy trays that have the condensed peat. i liked the idea of replanting the seedlings without disturbing the roots at all, so i disided to try it. Do you think that peat has the same fungis fighting power as long fiberd sphagnum?
confused.gif

Hi,
If you sprinkle a minute layer of moss peat over the sead, that will help. What conditions are keeping the pot in? Sometimes a little mould appears after a couple of days, but in my experience has rarely been a problem.

thanks, i have them i a very bright place with my nepenthes, their in seed trays with a clear plastic tops, and its really hot around 85-90 F these days, their also with my drosera seeds which are germinating really fast.

Hi,
That is NOT the best place for Sarracenia seeds; 1st when were the seeds harvested? 2: Have you a cold or cool greenhouse? 3: If the seeds were old, what about stratification?

Sarracenenias are not tropical!
wink.gif

nope no cool green house they all grow out side.the problem i had before with my sarras was the sun fried them, they flourished during the colder months that i had them, in dirrect sun light but as smmer came full force manny of them died. From what i was told by tomuch sun. so where they are now it is really briight all day with dirrect sunlight in the later day but this is much weaker sun light.the seeds were stratified, they were stratfied on damp long fiberd sphagnum for  1-1 1/2months. they are dirrectly beside some of my tropical sundews which have a good red colloration, so the light is bright. my nepenthes are right beside that. keeping them any cooler is impossible, but like i said i live in central florida they grow about 3hrs drive from me in the wild it cant be that much cooler there, can it?

biggrin.gif
Joel
biggrin.gif

The key is where you are is to grow them outside. I would stick your pot outside in semi shade in a sheltered spot with something to prevent direct rainfall landing on it. Sarras are no problem outside in direct sun as long as you can aclimatise them.This will mean you have the added advantage of ventilation then!

Thats where it is,in semi shade in grow trays with plastic coverings to block the rain. The man i got them from lives farther down south past tampa so the mother plant lived in a very warm bright enviroment so they should be pretty well adjusted, at least i hope. The seeds were all large healthy looking seeds so i hope that their really is no problem. I have only planted sarra seeds 1 time before but those were purchased from a dealer and i did nothave as many, only 2 flavas sprouted from those batches.

Thanks,

Joel

I would keep them there, except for removing the plastic covering and erect some kind of "clear umbrella" to protect the emerging seedlings. The light levels and certainly the humidity levels where you are are fine (I was in Florida at the end of July, very hot!&#33
wink.gif

thanks abunch, ill see what i can do on that unbrella thing ill.
biggrin.gif

must agree with mike,

sounds like an air movement problem to me. Peat that is kept damp and enclosed is a gimme for fungus and unfortunately they will attack seed when they can. I germinate my sarra seed in a small prop house with a clear plastic cover. I leave the front door open and cover the whole structure with 50% shade cloth. I use 140mm (6") pots filled with straight sphagnum peat that has not been sterilized or treated with fungicide. each pot is placed in a suitable sized ice-cream container that is kept full of water at all times. Germination usually takes about 1-2 weeks with a few straglers around 3-4 weeks. all of my seed is stratified for a minimum of 3 months in my home refigerator and i keep the seed in standard postal envelopes in the fridge (not enough room for food and pots). I average 85% germination rate and 0% fungal attacks even in the most humid conditions. if you want more details on the prop house send me your email address and ill send you the stats.

chris nixon

Back