What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. leucophylla 'Tarnok'

I got this plant from pft and in it does'nt say much difference between the typical plant . so what is the differnce ?

I also wondered what the difference was! because I also got a bunch of "tarnocs" from the PFT sale..
I found 2 web pages just now that indicate that the difference between Tarnoc and "typical" Leucophylla is that Tarnoc has double-petaled flowers!
cool..but doesent mean a thing to me because I never let my sarracenia flower anyway! I dont care to have seed, so just like VFT's, my Sarrs never get to flower..I prefer all their energy to go into pitcher production..
apart from the flowers, I dont know if there any difference between Tarnoc and Typical..
scot

Check out the 'Technical Question' post by me in this same forum. It has all the answers you need
smile.gif

So the major difference is in the flower?

I believe it is the only difference.

I just wished someone could tell me the nature of the mutation LOL. Maybe this can be my thesis project...

Yeah, it does seem interesting. Anyone know if hybrids of Tarnok plants ever show the mutation?

Another question I am not getting answers to
smile.gif

I know the mutation effectivly destroys the ovary so the plants are infertile in that respect but no on seems able to tell me if it does or does not produce pollen. Since I have 3 flowers coming up I hope to be able to answer this question for myself.

Is that your plant Dyflam?

Yes. I bought it last summer and this is the first flower I've seen.

Are you seeing any pollen? Might you be willing to give it a bit of a whack to see if any falls?

I'll give it a shot.
smile.gif

S. 'Tarnok' is reportedly a 'mule', sterile. I am not 100% on this.

Hey Brooks,

I had heard that in terms of the ovary because it is so grossly disfigured but no one I have talked to has ever checked to see if it actually sets pollen. They just assumed it didn't and since it is a cultivar no one was interested in trying to get seed from it anyway. I think it would be interesting to find out if the trait is heritable in hybrids. I am hoping Dyflam finds pollen but even if he doesn't I am not going to give up hope, I am guessing that if I ask enought people someone out there will find a clone that produces pollen thanks to a second mutation. (I can dream at any rate
smile.gif
)

I saw no pollen, not your typical flower.
confused.gif

Dyflam,

Thanks for checking
smile.gif

Onward rolls the scientific machine

Back